John Guest PTC connector cracked. How tight is tight enough? Opinions solicited.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balrog

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have not completely overhauled everything I have to PTC.
I end up switching the handful of PTC connectors I have around, whether to feed gas, transfer beer, whatever.

Did I crank one one of the MFL joints too tightly? It cracked and leaks, gas or liquid.
1632508068230.png

Luckily I do have a couple spares.

1632508157779.png

Yes, you probably torqued it a bit too much although it is possible it was defective.

I use the Duotight fittings (similar design) and crank to just past finger tight. I haven't had one crack or leak yet but that may just be luck.

I have a metric crapton of PTC connectors in service having switched every beer, gas and rinser lines in a keezer and three fridges to EVABarrier tubing back in 2019. Nearly all are John Guest, but I do have some Duotights and DMfit parts as well. I would hand tighten then do a dunk test and wrench-tighten a bit at a time until any leak stopped. The only one I managed to crack was a Duotight 1/4" FFL to 8mm tubing. It was totally obvious at the instant it happened and it was totally my fault, got distracted and forgot where I was with it.

I'm a huge fan of dunk-testing everything possible. Over three keezer builds I've found all kinds of leaks that way...

Cheers!

Back