John Guest fittings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

william_shakes_beer

Reaction score
Are Shark bite connector a type of John guest fitting?

I have never used either, but heard a bit about both. John guest for beer plumbing and shark bite for house plumbing. The pictures look somewhat similar

The shark bite has teeth that grab onto the pipe. From what I know they are for copper and not removable(but I might be wrong). John guest are designed to be easily removed.

The shark bite has teeth that grab onto the pipe. From what I know they are for copper and not removable(but I might be wrong). John guest are designed to be easily removed.

There's a tool to remove a shark bite connector. I remember seeing it at home depot. I've used these connectors (on copper) and they work exactly as described. Really makes life nice when you don't need to sweat pipe under a drop-in bathtub!

John Guest connectors work in a similar way. I don't use them for brewing, but I have them on my fish tank.

Yes, Sharkbite fittings do have a tool for removal. I plumbed water from an outside spigot to my brew porch. I have a utility sink, water filter and water line to fill my HLT by only opening a valve. Come winter I use the tool to take apart the lowest connection to drain the water. Sometimes it releases fairly easily, other times I end up swearing a lot.

Connection to John Guest fittings?? IDK.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are Shark bite connector a type of John guest fitting?[...]

Short answer is no. They're somewhat similar but the sharkbite fittings are much more aggressive.
I don't think the JG fittings would be appropriate for "in the wall" domestic plumbing, for instance, but otoh I wouldn't use sharkbites in a dispensing system or on a brew rig...

Cheers!

Honestly, I wouldn't trust shark bite fittings in a wall, either. I've seen them develop leaks over time.

Instead of constantly disconnecting a sharkbite fitting, why not install a drain fitting?

"John Guest fittings" - that's a phase about like "Kleenex"

It's actually a brand name, but it is so common people just use it as a noun.

For years John Guest was the only brand around. Nowadays there are about 12 gazillion manufacturers of John-Guest style quick connect fittings.

John Guest and Sharkbyte are competitors.

Russ

Back