John guest fittings and beer tubing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SanPancho

Reaction score
not alot of experience with john guest type fittings. Was thinking of using the push connect with some transfer tubing, regular plastic/vinyl type tubing.

Too soft? What if i used the thick stuff like bevlex? Anybody have a good experience with this?

I have a JG ptc fittings on both sides of the six flow meters in my keezer, using Bevlex 200 that I heated up and slipped over JG barb adapters that are what's "pushed in" to the fittings. At the time I installed them (years ago now) I wasn't able to identify a JG fitting that the Bevlex 200 could directly push in and seal reliably and thread onto the meters. This combination has been faultless over the years.

But if you can match the ptc diameter acceptance spec on the fitting type you need to the tubing OD it should work. The things grip like death until you unlock them, I'd have no qualms about using that magical part on solid PVC tubing - at least the 1/8" wall type like beer line. Otherwise the JG barbed adapters work well...

Cheers!

Huh. Never seen the barbed adapters. I saw some pieces that had what they called “stem” ends. I assume the barbs you refer to would be like that - barb x stem?

Its for my orange cap transfer rig i copied from you. Trying to get rid of the brass connections. I can likely swap for stainless, but the idea of ptc would be easy to swap the hose in/out. So i need to go. —> racking cane 3/8 - ptc fitting- tubing - corny qd barb.

I was wondering if the thick walled tubing would work, guess theres only one way to find out.

If it doesnt hold pressure then i guess ill have to locate those stem pieces you refered. But out here we’re pretty much all copper water lines in SF, or pvc/abs around the. Bay area. Pex is around, but in HD and Lowes you just find sharkbite fittings for pex, and a small selection of JG stuff for ice maker, water filter, etc. Might have to end up ordering online i guess.

if you're talking about the 5/16" od vinyl push in, to MFL 1/4", I have succ used those to xfr LQDC to LQDC ball lock keg to keg under up to 20psi. Reg 3/16 ID 5/16 OD vinyl.

if you're talking about the 5/16" od vinyl push in, to MFL 1/4", I have succ used those to xfr LQDC to LQDC ball lock keg to keg under up to 20psi. Reg 3/16 ID 5/16 OD vinyl.

im not following you. my "concern" is whether the softer types of tubing will still be held liquid/air tight by the push fitting. hard pipe and poly/plastic type tubing is no problem obviously, but the softer nature of the beer tubing is what has me worried.

im not aware of what the "5/16 vinyl push in to 1/4MFL" is so not sure what you're telling me here.

Maybe not what you're after, but I was just saying I've used regular old soft vinyl tubing with this, and it holds firm no leaks:
upload_2019-1-11_14-40-33.png

and John Guest has a fitting of the same type:
upload_2019-1-11_14-41-1.png

ah, got it. ok. i hadnt considered putting them on the QDs. good to know. but if they've held tight for you then i dont see why they wouldnt work on the other end of the rig to connect to the racking cane.

do you recall what the size was on the fitting vs the 5/16od of the tube? a 1/16 up in size, or down?

Huh. Never seen the barbed adapters. I saw some pieces that had what they called “stem” ends. I assume the barbs you refer to would be like that - barb x stem?[...]

For the keezer I use PI451215FS 5/8" BSPP - 1/4" OD fittings on either side of the meters (look just like balrog's) then use PI250806S "tube to hose stem" push-in adapters for the lines in and out.

Tube-to-Hose-Stem.jpg

The folks that use Bev Seal Ultra 235 line use PI451015FS 5/8" BSP - 5/16" OD fittings at the shank end and PM4508F4S 1/4" FFL female - 5/16" OD fittings at the disconnects. You can find both ends in different line ODs...

Cheers!

So it looks like maybe this guy mighht be what i want
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003YKF2F6/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

It would connect my stainless racking cane at 3/8 od to some regular vinyl at 3/8 od. With the valve as a bonus should i ever need it.

Way cheaper than stainless parts.

Just saw this stuff at micromatic. Ill look around and see what they got. Would be nice to have sizes in 16ths instead of just 1/8s, which is what ive seen so far.

There a place to buy these stem peices cheaply that doesn’t require buying a 10 or 20 pack? Homes depot and lowes dont carry them out here, smaller locals don’t have them eithr. Found a place online thats not too bad on per unit cost, but shipping was like 10x the price of the part...

yeah, that's the one. quoted like $10 shipping for 3 bucks of parts.

if I was buying a few things id take the hit. but literally need two pieces. can't justify it.

I'll just use a bit of copper and rig something up.

Back