Joe's Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don "Ho"

Reaction score
I have a gallon that has stopped fermenting and is quite clear. According to my time table, I still have 4 weeks before I bottle it.
Should I check the gravity and take a little taste now, or just lock the door and wait?

WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR MAN?
Any time you think Fermentation has stopped, CHECK THE GRAVITY!...Any time you take a gravity reading, TASTE IT!!!
Come On...I'm dying here! I have a jug still "Blowing Off" after 48 hours. I SO BAD want to taste it!
Come On. Let me live vicariously through your sample!

Ok, little background. (yea, yea, another storyll:D ). My experience with mead is what I have had at Scarbourough Fair. And at 90 + degrees anything tastes good.
So I am in no way an expert.

I changed nothing with the recipe.

Here goes
On removing the air lock, the first thing I can smell it an array of oranges and cinnamon. I think that I could even smell a little clover. If so it was just a hint.

Remove enough to test the gravity. I really need to work on this as after I was done, my beautiful clear liquid is really cloudy..

The gravity is at 1.048 @ 70degrees so if my math is correct would be 1.049. Not knowing any better I didnt take the reading at the start time.

Now the taste test! LOL!!
The smell cinnamon is quite strong and pleasant. The first sip, I tasted, and in this order and just a touch, honey, orange, cinnamon, clover (very slight), then what I will consider the alcohol as a slight twang.

I was really shocked :eek: ! was this right. Took another sip and yep, thats what I had tasted. It was GREAT!!.. Maybe just a tad sweet, but I liked it.

I had to stop as its only 10:00 am here and I sure didnt want to get started drinking now!!

I think that I will let it clear again, and take suggestions on how to bottle without stirring up the "precious liquid".

I may stay with my schedule and bottle on the 24 of this month. That will be hard as I have now tasted it and I LIKE IT!!

Hope this helps you BigKahuna..

Back