Joe's Beer Repair

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopdawg

Reaction score
Does your beer require a tune-up? Major overhaul?
Mine did. Today I didn't make beer, I repaired it. I had two beers sitting here in kegs that I just wasn't happy with. The first, a Pale Ale I brewed back in July was just too sweet. It's like the yeast stalled. In fact I'm certain it did with a OG of 1.050 and an FG of 1.015. I gave up on it and threw it back in the boiling pot. I boiled it for 30 mins with an additional 1LB of DME a generous portion of Goldings, cooled it and fired in a pack of Coopers that has been in my fridge for a year. I'll let you know how it turns out.
The second one I repaired was an IPA that had developed a diacetyl. I've been wanting to try a "de-alcoholization" of one of my beers so this one was a great candidate. I raised the temp to 183-185F for 25 minutes. Cooled it and put her back in the keg. I'll chill it and gas it tomorrow and update you with the results.

I'm not sure "repair" is the word I'd use. The Pale Ale will now be alcohol-free, except for the extra DME you put in. This will give you an ABV of about 1.3%. I'm not sure what to say about the IPA.

What's the purpose of removing the alcohol? Are you just wanting to tinker with NA beer? I don't get it.

Well it sounds like hes still tasting a lot of sugar in the pale, that along with the extra lb of DME and a good pack of yeast should produce a decent amount of alcohol.

Well it sounds like hes still tasting a lot of sugar in the pale, that along with the extra lb of DME and a good pack of yeast should produce a decent amount of alcohol.

Unfortunately it's probably unfermentable sugars he's tasting, which will not ferment out. He's going to end up with a hoppy, 1% alcohol beer.

I'm confused. How does heating the IPA up to remove alcohol fix the diacetyl?

When I had a diacetyl lingering in a recent pale ale after a few weeks in primary, I pitched another packet of yeast and let it go for a couple more weeks. Fixed it right up.

1.050->1.015 sounds pretty good to me. I can't understand why it would taste too sweet.

Yeah, you haven't repaired them until you can vouch that they're improved.

But keep us posted nonetheless. :)

Yup the pale ale will be way low ABV. I know all too well that alcohol will evaporate out after making a bad batch of jello shots in college where I boiled the liquor in with the jello.

What? All the alcohol will be gone? I was told that it would double if brought up to 183F. This is a disappointment.

My initial point being, I had two beers that were not good. One too sweet the other with diacetyl. I could drink them the way they were because they contained alcohol or I could neuter them and experiment with an NA beer. My apologies if I hadn't made that clear.

Latest posts

Back