Quantcast

Joe's Ancient: Alcohol % ?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

tahlorn

Reaction score
Hey all!
I made a might fine batch of Joe's Ancient Orange mead. Tastes damn good. Had a wine glass, and I can handle a couple beers easily with my size, but this gave me a decent buzz.
I did not take any readings, as what I needed got sat on accidentally and is dead. What percent alcohol have any of you gotten from this brew? I know it varies, but want a rough idea, as people keep asking, as they keep saying it is really strong.

Tusch

Reaction score
Wow, I know the ingredients an all, but I've got a batch going and had no idea I would be pushing it that high! Sweet!

sirsloop

Reaction score
Well if your must is like 1.100 or higher... and ferments out... you're lookin at 13+ ABV

ABV = (OG - FG) X 131

malkore

Reaction score
honestly, there's something about mead that always gets me blitz'd

I can split a bottle of wine with the wife...no issues.

drink 3 -4 glasses of beer, not a problem.

you give me 5oz of mead, and I feel it.

I'm pretty sure its magic :)

OP
T

tahlorn

Reaction score
That might just be it, magic. I swear, I am the same way. 1/2 pitcher of beer, I get a little buzz. 5 or 6 oz of mead.... whee!!

I brought some to work to give people little tastes. I had 3 little tastes. I had a buzz, and I work with high voltage. Great.

macs

Reaction score
tahlorn said:
That might just be it, magic. I swear, I am the same way. 1/2 pitcher of beer, I get a little buzz. 5 or 6 oz of mead.... whee!!

I brought some to work to give people little tastes. I had 3 little tastes. I had a buzz, and I work with high voltage. Great.
I hope we don't have any OSHA agents on board! They might want to speak to you about that. :drunk:

sirsloop

Reaction score
tahlorn said:

I like the way it tastes... if you just want to get drunk I suggest Everclear. Thats magic :drunk:

Distilled

Reaction score
tahlorn said:

That's funny, I have the same reaction. I drink beer in moderation and drink good quality wine pretty frequently - point being, I have a fairly high tolerance to alcohol, but Mead..............8 to 10 oz and I'm all smiles!! :)

I've got a batch fermenting now, today makes 35 days in the primary and it's still bubbling at a pretty good clip......it's unbelievable. I'm going to go another 7 days and rack to the secondary, if things taper off, for a 45 day settling period before I bottle. I'm anxious, it's been at least 2 years since I've had a glass of Mead with the boys.....those guys don't know what hit them after a nice liter of Mead.. :) hehe.....