Jockey Box "Spitting" Beers Out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yournotpeter

Reaction score
I used a jockey box (with plate chiller, jockey box was filled with ice) back in February (Wisconsin) for a brewfest and the beers poured awesome. The beers had been sitting in my garage and were cold when served. Everything was great. I have now brewed some beers for a party we're having this weekend and the kegs have been sitting in my basement (roughly 66 degrees). When I hooked those kegs up to the same jockey box setup (plate chiller, jockey box filled with ice) the beers spit and foam like crazy. It's so bad that one of the beers pours like the keg just emptied...spitting foam.

Am I experiencing such a difference due to the change in temperature of the beers from the February date and today's date? For some reason, I was under the impression that the kegs could be warm and the plate chiller takes care of chilling the beers. Any insight?

It should work fine. However, I've experienced excessive foaming with hot beer.

66 degrees is actually a pretty cool temp for going through a jockey box.

What does the beer look like going into the Jockey Box (liquid line)? Is there a lot of foam going into it?

Also, have you re-attached the C02 line? Is it possible you overcarbed?

I actually can't see the beer going into the box as the liquid lines into the box are black of all things. I chilled the beer down to 38 degrees in my fermentation chamber overnight and then tapped it today...it was a bit better, but still pretty foamy. The only thing I can think right now is that it's overcarbed.

If the jockey box lines or faucet weren't cleaned thoroughly enough after the last use it could also cause foaming.

Back