Jockey Box Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mplutodh1

Reaction score
As if I don't have enough home brew projects - I'm already thinking about another I want to try and tackle down the road. Was doing some research today on building a Jockey Box.

I've read a few things and will stay clear of copper tubing (although I know some folks have gone that route - I'd rather not). Stainless coils aren't cheap and take up a considerable amount of room. Leading me to think that a cold plate design might be the best - if I build one (ok more like when I build one) i think I'll just go big up front and do a minimum 2 but likely 4 tap box.

A few questions:

1) Anyone know of a good source for affordable cold plates? Chicompany had some a while back but their 6 port unit appears out of stock. Several are running around $80 for a 2 pot unit.

2) Anyone seen success with using coiled up beer hose? Like this:
http://www.simplybeer.com/blog/jockey-box/

I realize the beer hose won't have the same benefits the stainless will have but it is a fairly slick looking inexpensive solution - if it works to cool the beer.

Beer hose wont transfer the heat the way that stainless or better yet copper will.
I have a five pass cold plate and my plans are to double pass, from outside to inside with two taps then use the inner pass to flow additional cooling water. This should allow the beer to never stop flowing as long as there is ice around the cold plate. I planned it this way due to the summer temps in Phoenix.
edit: I got my cold plate from a member here for about $80

I say go copper its cheaper then stainless and conducts heat better then the brew hose

I say go copper its cheaper then stainless and conducts heat better then the brew hose

Rather not - copper really shouldn't come in contact with beer post fermentation. Don't really like the possibility of copper poisoning.

I'll keep an eye on eBay - there's one right now for fairly cheap but it is a few years old and doesn't look all that clean. Maybe something will come up though - I'm in no hurry.

That 7 tap cold plate for $85 is a decent deal. I found a 6 tap for about $80 on ebay about a year back. I see them come up fairly frequently. They work great and are more compact than tube coils.

That was my jockybox referenced by mplutodh1 in the original post. I used 25' of food grade pvc tubing. It works wonderfully! I get my beer down to about 40-42 degrees, which is perfectly fine for me. It I were to do it again however, I would probably spend the money for flexible copper or a cold plate, but it was a good cheap substitute.

-Peter

That was my jockybox referenced by mplutodh1 in the original post. I used 25' of food grade pvc tubing. It works wonderfully! I get my beer down to about 40-42 degrees, which is perfectly fine for me. It I were to do it again however, I would probably spend the money for flexible copper or a cold plate, but it was a good cheap substitute.

-Peter

Putting a "poor man"s Jockey Box together next week for a camp out. Just ordered 40' of PVC tubing. Will be using a smallish 24qt cooler, I'm going to drill 1 hole for now for beer line "in", and just lift lid to dispense with picnic tap. Planning on running off 20Oz Paintball tank with an Adapter for my regulator, what pressure will I need to dispense through 40' of pvc tube? I figure on about 8' of that 40' is taken up with 3' of that is taken up by 3' from keg to box, and another 5' of serving line... which leaves 32' of coiled to chill, should be ok I can probably get about 12lbs-15lbs of ice in this box. should I add salt?

Should be pretty well camo'd in a campsite keg and co2 kept in tall military duffel bag supply line runs to back of cooler, picnic tap kept inside.

Do you bleed tank at end of night, add about 5lbs pounds back in for storage overnight? We'll be drinking the beer friday night, and saturday night.

that is exactly what I try to do, didn't last weekend and had 35lbs of pressure on 3 tanks over night. Had a foam monster the next day! :)

Back