Jockey box foam problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gcrisler

Reaction score
Hey all, I built a jockey box with 25' of copper coil, about 3' of 3/16 beverage line and 5' of 3/16 line between the copper coil and the shank (5" shank). I got a keg of National Bohemian from a local liqour store and hooked it up to a d coupler with a co2 tank set to 12 psi. I am having a big problem with foam. Every glass (even after 5 pints) is majority foam. This is my first effort to use kegs/legging equipment. Any idea of what I can do to fix this problem?

There are a couple of issues I think. I assume that since you're using a jockey box that the keg is warm. That causes foaming often, especially with short serving lines. Longer lines will help. My kegerator lines are 8' line at 12 psi.

One issue I see is that it's not safe to serve beer out of copper, so I'd swap the copper out for a stainless steel coil if you want to serve out of a jockey box. It's not causing the foaming, but I just thought I'd mention it here.

second yooper on the copper, its not recommended post fermentation. Using coil for a jockeybox, make sure you are using ice and water and have the coils covered. You dont need long beer lines. You are getting enough resistance without adding long beer lines. My jockeybox is a bit different as I use a cold plate, but i only use about 5 ft pre chiller just because i need it to reach the kegs and about 18" post chiller to the shank. I suspect that having 5' post coil could cause warming and co2 breakout.

I had my co2 set to about 12 psi. The keg was purchased cold and got progressively warmer throughout the night. There is a 3' 3/16 beverage line between the keg and the barb on the outside of the jockey box. Should I make this section of line shorter to keep it from getting warm? The coils at times were not completely covered but the uncovered amount was pretty small.

Just read something that said low pressure can cause foamy beer, where a big shot of foam comes out and then some clear beer then more foam. This is somewhat like what I was experiencing but it went from extremely foam to less foam, never clear.

Any suggestions?

Back