joam, need your thoughts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derek81

Reaction score
Ok my joam has been in the primary 2 months. I haven't moved it, opened it or tasted it. It had an active fermentation for nearly a month. It is starting to clear up.(but still not crystal clear)

How long do you wait to transfer to secondary? Or should i cold crash to make the fruit drop?

Any opinions will be helpful.

Thanks

-Derek

Just leave it be, that's what JAOM is all about, set it and forget it, let the fruit drop and it clear all in its own time. Then go to secondary with it.

Your almost there. Around month 3 the fruit usually drops. Mine did at about week 10. But still after the fruit drop and clearing rack and then let it sit another 3 months. It is well worth it to age a joam to about 6 months. Where it was drinkable for me at 3 months. I still just sipped an 11oz bottle. Now I can drink it fully with a smile.

My JAOM has been fermenting for approximately 3 weeks and it's already starting to clear. Wondering if I should just continue to wait for the 2 month mark or just wait till the fruit drops.

3b00e515.jpg

I'm adding a question!

I let mine sit about 8 months...never secondaried (is that a word?)

Anyways I bottled and have a tiny bit of sediment... But I had 1/2 a 12oz bottle that was at the end that I suck in the fridge and sampled the next night... It hurt...lol I think the "pithynest"from the oranges was STRONG!...

will it mellow in the bottles? Or would it if been better to rack and secondary?

Thanks
Sean

rack04 said:
My JAOM has been fermenting for approximately 3 weeks and it's already starting to clear. Wondering if I should just continue to wait for the 2 month mark or just wait till the fruit drops.

Wow mine is no where near that clear. Its clearing that's for sure.
But yours is aged ahead of mine. Maybe because the size of the batch?

It will clear and it will mellow.

People often make JAO as a first mead, then promptly break the first rule, which is often the hardest to learn.

The rule of patience.

The sediment drops, doing the time honoured thing of gravity.

Equally, the CO2 developed by the yeast munching the fruit sugars, will also move out and up, the fruit then also doing the gravity thing.

There is no secondary stage as is normally understood. But you're facing the hardest part of making JAO........the racking.

The nature of bread yeast is that it doesn't flocculate very well. Just moving the fermenter to where you're gonna conduct the racking, is enough to bring some of the sediment back into suspension.

I move the fermenter 2 or 3 days, sometimes a week, before I intend conducting the racking. Then I rack to a bucket with great care, only the clear section, down to about an inch above the sediment and fruit. The racked part is usually ready for bottling.

Then, the remaining part is racked to a 2 litre plastic bottle that has been sanitised and the top cut off. The bottle can be cut so its about 1 inch above the top of the liquid and then its covered with cling wrap and placed into the fridge for a day possibly 2. The cold is enough (usually) to settle any sediment and reducing the size of the bottle reduces both its size (and fridge space required) and the air space above the liquid.

That allows me to rack the rest of the liquid off the sediment and I use a cup based racking cane with 6mm tubing. It minimises the racking loses..... I get 5 bottles per gallon (imperial a.k.a. 4.55 ltr - you should get/aim for 4 from a US gallon).

Thinking about brewing this one up tonight....in my reading I can't find anything about bottle carbing JOAM. Is there enough live yeast left at bottling time to carb it up? Or is this better left still? I don't have a keg setup so force carbing is not an option.

I started my first JAOM yesterday so I'm no expert on the recipe (though I have been making mead for several years) but as I understand it finishes sweet. Which means that the yeast has converted as much sugar to alcohol as it can and has died off. You won't be able to carbonate it without using special equipment.

Using a different yeast would allow it to go dry and then an additional bit of sugar at the end would allow carbonation. However, using a different yeast in a JAOM seems to be a classic mistake. The recipe is designed to be followed very closely, it isn't analogous to any other recipe you're likely to find. My advice is to bottle it still and start a different recipe with the intention of carbonating it.

Latest posts

Back