Jim beam maple bourbon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kujosp

Reaction score
Anyone try this in a recipe? I'm thinking about brewing an old ale and then later adding maple bourbon soaked oak chips to the fermenter. Was wondering if the maple comes through at all? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

you could probably just add a couple shots of the maple bourbon and guarantee that it comes through.... during bottling/kegging.

I do have a can of maple syrup though... thinking of soaking an oak spiral in it and then add it to a secondary...

Basically.... my post is not helpful.

Since there's sugar in maple syrup the yeast might have their way with it if you add it to the primary. I'm sure it'll still have a little residual flavor but I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for. Maybe cold crash the primary then rack over to a secondary then add the oak, bourbon, maple syrup.
Or Oak it with the bourbon oak then add the syrup at kegging time if you don't want to secondary.

I've done a lot of experimental batches with maple syrup. Both in the primary/secondary, and at bottling. It ferments almost completely out. You will have more flavor with either a maple flavoring, or by using fenugreek.

If it's from Kentucky, I'll give it a try this spring when I brew my Kentucky Rye Brown Ale for the Kentucky Derby....

Depending on how much in oz you soak/ oz of oak chips, it definitely will shine through, but then to a lesser extent over time. I've made an Old Ale with a Toasted French Oak stave, which rounded the vanilla and oak tinge nicely to the Old Ale. Last year I soaked 4 oz of Jim Beam Maple Bourbon to toasted French Oak ships for 14 days then drained and added the chips to my Monk Tophula Quad, for the first 3-6 months the aroma and kick from the Bourbon was upfront, now it's only subtle at 10 months...still adds a smooth complexity to the beer though. However almost all of the maple is completely gone. I should've added more bourbon for a bit longer in the soak. So I'd say a 1:3 ratio instead of 1:2 ratio on the chips:bourbon ratio to intensify the taste of the bourbon. Otherwise straight Organic Maple Syrup in the secondary will give you more Maple flavor profile.

Latest posts

Back