Jet Burner, 23 tip, for propane

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
huhmmmm.....

tks for the link I did a quick search but didn't find that deal.

Ahh the 23 tip are ~90,000 BTU I was looking at the 32 tip ~145,000 BTU, but the price seems great to me.

23 tips is overkill for anything less than 15 gallons. If you're doing 10g or less, I'd recommend the 10 tip version or a Hurricane instead if you want better flame control.

23 tips is overkill for anything less than 15 gallons. If you're doing 10g or less, I'd recommend the 10 tip version or a Hurricane instead if you want better flame control.

I would love to do 10 tip burners IF i could find low pressure ones for less than 100 bucks a pc. I recently tried to purchase 3 hurricane burners form firehouse cajun and they apparently quit taking online orders. Unfortunatley they did not quit taking money online. So when I ordered the 3 burners for 26 bucks a pc plus shipping and all it was a grand total of 114 bucks, which I Paypal'd to them. After a week I finally get a hold of someone and they inform me they are no longer taking online orders and cannot fufill my order. However they still have not returned my money. So i'm looking for some cheap Low pressure propane burners if anyone can help me out.

I believe all propane will be considered high pressure. This is from GasLogGuys site on the 23 jet.

23 multi-jet gas burner is able to reach up to 165,000 BTU with our 0 to 30 psi regulator. This gas burner uses propane gas only. Regulator and hose not included. Burner measures 9 inches in diameter. For high-pressure applications only. This gas burner is too powerful for lower BTU applications. Item 9441 is the stand that works with This gas burner. 1/2 inch female pipe connection
http://www.gaslogguys.com/item_name...rner-Small_path_3-51-2110-2122_item_7312.html

I believe all propane will be considered high pressure. This is from GasLogGuys site on the 23 jet.

http://www.gaslogguys.com/item_name...rner-Small_path_3-51-2110-2122_item_7312.html

I respectfully disagree. Both show low pressure propane which is for 11WC or 0.4psi or less. the link to tejassmokers has the low pressure ring burners all the way up to a blistering 880,000 BTU's. The large tanks that run whole house systems are all considered Low Pressure. And you can get a low pressure regulator for bbq tanks as well.

http://morebeer.com/view_product/17250//Burner_-_92000_BTU_for_Low_Pressure_Propane

http://www.tejassmokers.com/newproducts_page6.htm

Good point, I'm not a gas man ;) But I was reffering to the jet burners. I don't think they come in a low pressure model outside of the NG ones. I'm mostly likely wrong though.

I would love to do 10 tip burners IF i could find low pressure ones for less than 100 bucks a pc. I recently tried to purchase 3 hurricane burners form firehouse cajun and they apparently quit taking online orders. Unfortunatley they did not quit taking money online. So when I ordered the 3 burners for 26 bucks a pc plus shipping and all it was a grand total of 114 bucks, which I Paypal'd to them. After a week I finally get a hold of someone and they inform me they are no longer taking online orders and cannot fufill my order. However they still have not returned my money. So i'm looking for some cheap Low pressure propane burners if anyone can help me out.

A bad run in with one vendor isn't a good reason to target the jet burners instead though. Issue a complaint with paypal. They have buyer protection for that reason.

What I'm saying is that 23 tip is too big whether it's $5 or $50.

The 10-tip is $29 here: http://www.bbq.com/item_name_Multi-Jet-Propane-Gas-Burner-Mini_item_2516985.html

Hurricane is $30 from here: http://www.agrisupply.com/product.asp?pn=64494

Good point, I'm not a gas man ;) But I was reffering to the jet burners. I don't think they come in a low pressure model outside of the NG ones. I'm mostly likely wrong though.

Thats the problem, there is a low pressure jet burner as shown in the two links i posted above. But they are pricey. And none of the other food service sites show if theirs are for High or low pressure. If the btu's on the 23 tip are 90,000 I am thinking there is a good chance it is low pressure because all the others that I have seen are all around 140,000 BTU's for the High pressure ones. However I don't see the BTU rating on the site off the link in the first post.

Give this a try.

http://www.shopperschoice.com/item_name_Multi-Jet-Propane-Gas-Burner-Mini_path__item_2516985.html

Oups....too late, sorry

A bad run in with one vendor isn't a good reason to target the jet burners instead though. Issue a complaint with paypal. They have buyer protection for that reason.

What I'm saying is that 23 tip is too big whether it's $5 or $50.

The 10-tip is $29 here: http://www.bbq.com/item_name_Multi-Jet-Propane-Gas-Burner-Mini_item_2516985.html

Hurricane is $30 from here: http://www.agrisupply.com/product.asp?pn=64494

I agree, I guess I should have been a bit more clear, I have to have the Low pressure model for propane. The 10 tip and the Hurricane are both shown as High pressure on those sites. I know there are low pressure versions of both, it's just finding them at a decent price. I would take jet burners or hurricane burners of the appropriate type.

this is what i was looking at 10" low pressure burner http://www.firehousecatering.com/hp_misc.htm

northeren brewer has the low pressure ones as well but are out of stock.

I would much rather find the 10 tip low pressure jet burner if i go with jet burners. However I wonder if the 23 tip being low pressure vs high pressure would help out with the problems that others are having. Like I said the low pressure jet burners are around 90,000 BTU's (23 tip) vs the high pressure ones at 140,000 plus. And I think the hurricane is around 60,000 btu's in the low pressure version.

I don't know for sure but I think the orifice size for the NG and low pressure propane would be the same. It's the high pressure LP that requires the tiny orifice.

The larger orifice ones, labeled as NG will just have a lower BTU for the NG than the low pressure propane. I could be wrong though.

I don't think the hurricanes are different castings between the agri supply "high pressure" and the NB low pressure. At best the orifice is slightly different diameter but you'd just have to drill it out a touch to make it suitable for lower pressure.

If low pressure propane is 11WC and nat gas is usually 6-8WC, the orifice is going to be pretty darn close.

I don't know for sure but I think the orifice size for the NG and low pressure propane would be the same. It's the high pressure LP that requires the tiny orifice.

The larger orifice ones, labeled as NG will just have a lower BTU for the NG than the low pressure propane. I could be wrong though.

I don't think the hurricanes are different castings between the agri supply "high pressure" and the NB low pressure. At best the orifice is slightly different diameter but you'd just have to drill it out a touch to make it suitable for lower pressure.

If low pressure propane is 11WC and nat gas is usually 6-8WC, the orifice is going to be pretty darn close.

excellent point! Does anyone know the diameter that I would need to drill the orifice out to to make it function with the low pressure propane? that is def. an option. If that is the case I'll get the ones from agri supply. Thats what I was going to order before going with firehouse, the only reason I went with them is because they were low pressure for sure.

Actually, you still use a different orifice for propane and NG with low pressure. NG orifices are usually a bit bigger to allow more of the less refined fuel. It is almost always possible to convert a low pressure propane stove to NG but it is much less rare to be able to convert a high pressure propane to NG. The difference between high/low pressure propane is the regulator. A low pressure propane regulator is around 1 psi.

FWIW, I have the Hurricane burner and use it for both propane and NG just by changing out the orifice. I got the stuff at Williams brewing and its great. When I'm at home, I use NG. When on the road, I just change the orifice and grab my low pressure LP regulator/tank and I'm in business.

EDIT: Here's a link to the conversion valve.
http://www.williamsbrewing.com/HURR...serID=2955728&jsessionid=d830d06a5c517e417970

I could be wrong on this, but here goes anyway. The multi-jet wok burners incorporate the orifice and the air intake in each individual jet. IOW, it's not as simple as changing or drilling out a single orifice when switching from NG to Propane or vice versa. You would have to change all of the individual jets, if you could get them, that is. I suppose you could drill out each jet orifice to make them work with NG, but the reverse would be a lot more difficult, ie making the orifices smaller. Then you would still have to deal with the size of the air intake holes to attain the proper air/fuel ration. I don't know how you would go about doing that correctly. Seems to me it would be more trouble than it's worth. The hurricane and banjos do have single orifices which can be changed out easily. I also think that these would be a better choice for homebrewing use.

I could be wrong on this, but here goes anyway. The multi-jet wok burners incorporate the orifice and the air intake in each individual jet. IOW, it's not as simple as changing or drilling out a single orifice when switching from NG to Propane or vice versa. You would have to change all of the individual jets, if you could get them, that is. I suppose you could drill out each jet orifice to make them work with NG, but the reverse would be a lot more difficult, ie making the orifices smaller. Then you would still have to deal with the size of the air intake holes to attain the proper air/fuel ration. I don't know how you would go about doing that correctly. Seems to me it would be more trouble than it's worth. The hurricane and banjos do have single orifices which can be changed out easily. I also think that these would be a better choice for homebrewing use.

I TOTTALY agree with you. I wouldn't even think to attempt changing a jet burner from high to low pressure. I would however mod a nat gas orifice on a hurricane burner to be able to use propane. The problem is I can't find a source that has them in stock. I emailed hurricane about them and they said they are completly out of stock and plan to be for at least a month. Oh well. I guess I'll halt the build for now and wait for a burner supplier to magically appear before my eyes!

Listen to Bobby. No doubt they are way overkill and the flame control........well not much flame control for smaller batches. Go 10 tip

I understand that 23 tip is overkill. I would like to purchase 10 tip low pressure or hurricane burners. However hurricane burners have all but fell off the face of the earth for the low pressure propane variety and It would appear I can't get a 10 tip low pressure for under 100 bucks a pc. I may just have to give up the spark ignition and low pressure propane pilot valves for the high pressure system, or figure out how to mod the high pressure orifice to be low pressure on the hurricane

If you get the high pressure hurricane, you only have to drill the single orifice out slightly larger because that's what makes it accommodate the lower pressure. Bigger hole, more gas. If you get a set of small bits, you just use trial and error until you get a nice clean burn.

I am gonna disagree with all here, but we hashed this out before here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/23-tip-jet-burner-problems-102701/

I have low pressure 23 tip burners, none plugged, and can control them with 2psi, or 30 psi , and everywhere in between , 5 or 10 gallon batches . the only issue would be the type valve you use, if it's a furnace type ( Honeywell) you need to stay within the limits of psi , if you use a asco or stc type off/on, your golden with either high or low pressure ;) I use a variable pressure LP, regulator 0-30 psi

Good read indeed. Thank you for the link. At $18 ea I think I'm going to go ahead and buy the two burners for my frame. I'm not happy with my dual jet 185000 BTU burner setup I have now as it can't be converted to NG later. I didn't want to spend another $65 for my second burner as I know I'm not happy with the first. Even if I plug a few jets on the short term for my 15G BK it's still more economical in the short term to go this route. When I finally get my NG line run to my garage I'll simply change out the tips for Low Pressure NG tips, without having to change anything else around on the rig. Sounds like a good plan to me but then again I'm not a gas man ;)

I am gonna disagree with all here, but we hashed this out before here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/23-tip-jet-burner-problems-102701/

I have low pressure 23 tip burners, none plugged, and can control them with 2psi, or 30 psi , and everywhere in between , 5 or 10 gallon batches . the only issue would be the type valve you use, if it's a furnace type ( Honeywell) you need to stay within the limits of psi , if you use a asco or stc type off/on, your golden with either high or low pressure ;) I use a variable pressure LP, regulator 0-30 psi

I think the pressure he is dealing with is 0.5 psi which is nowhere near 3 PSI. I doubt you could set the 0 to 30 PSU regulator even close to 0.5 PSI because you don't have the resolution.

I have over #200 batches on my 23 tip burners , they work perfect, I respect everyones opinon, but truth be told, I can completely control my 23 tip burners with my variable pressure regulator period. Look at my stupid video as proof, if I am missing something I will give up and just keep making beer on my oversized out of control burners ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I know your using LP but what's your part#'s for the componets you have on the automated side. If you don't mind sharing. I'm sure I can cross ref them to NG when the time comes.

I'm glad you are happy with the 23 tip burner mrbowenz but I didn't see any flame in the video that I would consider "low". It would be low enough for a boil kettle but I wouldn't use it for a direct fire mash tun. Just my opinion.

Bobby,
Just to be clear I'm only planning on fireing my HLT and BK in a HERMS setup. I would not use this burner as a direct fire for a MLT it's too damn hot from what I read and preceived.

My dual jet burner (LP) I have now at full bore is 185000 BTU's and even at it's lowest temp would burn/scorch in a MLT
DSC_2374.jpg

I'm not happy with this burner and as I'm planning on converting to an NG setup later on to alieaveate the (Crap I ran outta gas!) issue. I'm willing to give these burners a try. I fully appreciate your exp with this burner and have taken your comments to heart for my setup. The price to atleast try is my current driving force.

I'm glad you are happy with the 23 tip burner mrbowenz but I didn't see any flame in the video that I would consider "low". It would be low enough for a boil kettle but I wouldn't use it for a direct fire mash tun. Just my opinion.

I have to agree with Bobby on this. Not only that, but at about the same moment the gas is turned down in the video to demonstrate the wonderful flame control, the view is almost entirely blocked by the frame rail. What little I could observe at the somewhat low flame level was a dirty yellow flame. One of my brewing buddies has these burners and I am not at all impressed. He installed an adjustable regulator and that helped some, but did not entirely fix the problems. They remain highly over-rated IMO. I think there are better options.

The other thing I noticed is that it appears that he is brewing indoors. That burner is throwing off enough yellow flame that I would be very concearned about carbon monoxide. I hope he has good ventilation. Forget to open a vent or turn on a fan and it could be lights out forever. My burner burns a bit dirty so I would never dream of brewing indoors. I plan to switch over to Hurricane burners during the winter but I would still never plan to brew indoors. I am not a risk taker, you will never find me in Vegas or Atlantic City.

I know the 23 tip jet burner is high pressure but, for this burner what is high pressure...10psi. I have ordered two burners for the brew stand I am building and now I need a regulator. What pressure and adjustable pressure or not?

Thanks for the help,

Wade

From what I have read in some of the links in this thread your best bet would be to get a 0 - 30 PSI regulator.

From what I have read in some of the links in this thread your best bet would be to get a 0 - 30 PSI regulator.

provided your using the correct gas valve before the burner that will handle up to 30psi. If your using the furnace honeywell valves with the spark ignition and pilot, those are set for a MAX of 0.5 psi. So if your running that set up or an asco valve that is not rated for at least 30 psi you will not want to use a 30psi regulator cranked wide open. If you have the low pressure furnace valves your better off getting a low pressure burner and a fixed regulator at 0.4 psi.

unless you feel like blowing yourself and your beer up.

The OP stated he bought the high pressure LP burners and asked what type of regulator to use on his tank. He stated nothing about automated control. Otherwise I would agree with you.

The OP stated he bought the high pressure LP burners and asked what type of regulator to use on his tank. He stated nothing about automated control. Otherwise I would agree with you.

I relize that, However years form now someone may be doing research and not think about having an automated system and crank up 30 psi to their burner just because they have the same type of burner not relizing the limitations of the furnace controls.................. I should know, I almost did that :) When the b3 burners were no longer available I was going to just buy any ring burner I could find and put an adjustable reg on the tank. Then i relized the furnace controls were only good to 0.5psi. Just looking out for the saftey of our future homebrew newbies.

Back