jesus i killed my stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevecaaster

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just pitched a 1 liter WLP 004 irish Ale yeast starter into my stout. I realized I may have messed up a bit. I think I used way too much black patent malt for my recipe...

First, for 30 minutes I steeped:
12 oz 60L crystal
4 oz roasted barley
4 oz chocolate malt
8 oz black patent malt << **** !

I then rinsed the muslin bag with 1 gallon of 160 degree water over a collander.

I used 2 cans of muntons Dark LME, one can of muntons amber LME, and 8 oz of malto Dextrine.

hop schedule was 1.75 oz Northern brewer 6.9%AA at 60 Minutes, then .75 oz Styrian Goldings at 15 minutes.

My question is did I use too much Black Patent malt? will the resulting astringency, if there, eventually subside after proper aging, or does astringency never go away? thanks for lookin my recipe over!

It'll be fine..course it wasn't really needed but your stout between the dark lme and roasted barley will likely not suffer untold roastyness as a result.

I'd imagine this one will be okay, it just might take a good 6-10 months in bottle before it's mellowed out enough to be drinking well. If it's harsh at first, hide it away for awhile...

I don't think that recipe is excessive. Its on the black side of a stout but it will mellow into a nice roasty stout with a dry finish.
I think 1# of roasted grains is a starting point for stouts. The only reason yours might be a little strong on the roast is because you used dark DME.

Craig

I ran it through tastybrew...your srms according to them is 50...bjcp says stouts run 30-40+ So it's going to be dark...But I'm sure it's going to taste great.

Tastybrew didn't have the maltodextrine so I ran it with cornsugar instead.

Recipe Calculation
16A. Stout, Dry Stout Extract

Color

pint-50.png

Stats
OG 1.080
FG 1.020
IBU 58
ABV 7.7 %
SRM 50

Specifics
Boil Volume 3 gallons
Batch Size 5 gallons
Yeast 75% AA

Style Comparison
Low High
OG 1.035 1.080 1.050
FG 1.007 1.020 1.011
IBU 30 58 50
SRM 50 35+
ABV 3.2 7.7 5.5

Fermentables
% Weight Weight (lbs) Grain Gravity Points Color
6.3 % 0.75 American Crystal 60L 1.7 9.0
2.1 % 0.25 American Roasted Barley 0.5 22.5
2.1 % 0.25 American Chocolate 0.5 17.5
4.2 % 0.50 American Black Patent 0.9 50.0
55.5 % 6.60 Dark Malt Extract Syrup 44.9 105.6
27.7 % 3.30 Amber Dry Malt Extract 29.7 8.3
2.1 % 0.25 Corn Sugar 1.7 0.0
11.90 79.9

Hops
% Wt Weight (oz) Hop Form AA% AAU Boil Time Utilization IBU
70.0 % 1.75 Northern Brewer Pellet 6.9 12.1 60 0.043 52.5
30.0 % 0.75 Styrian Goldings Pellet 5.5 4.1 15 0.012 5.1
2.50 (weight) 57.6 (IBU's)

I don't think you killed your stout, but I would never advise anyone to use that much black patent. Especially since you have so little roasted barley and chocolate malt in there, the black malt will dominate the flavor. The crystal will sweeten it up a bit, but I expect you will have a harsh beer. Like the others said, though, time may mellow it out.

TL

Yeah, my specialty grains profile for my stout that is in the bottles now looked like this:
8 oz roasted barley
8 oz black patent
8 oz Chocolate
8 oz Crystal 60L

(I just like nice clean ratios, I guess)

First taste from the hydro sample was pretty rough, roasty, and bitter, and I was worried that I killed it. I added two ounces of pure Mexican vanilla to the bottling bucket, and that really took the edge off. I am letting it sit for at least a month, and then we will see how this bad boy comes out......

Jesus! It will undoubtably explode and open the 12th gate of hell when you crack the first one.

Other than that it will, in all likelyhood, be beer.;)

Thanks a lot everyone, especially revvy for printing out that recipe page! , o well I guess I may have to let it sit for a year!

Jesus! Good job thanking everyone.

(sorry, I am just poking fun over your apparent over-reaction in the title. All in good fun!)

cheezy your very right, it was like 5 am, I was up all night/morning here in NY and after i clicked the post button I saw the title I was like ehhhhhh, did i write that. I thought i sounded a little too serious, but then i thought it might be a good name for the beer when its done "I'll have a Jesus I killed my stout"

Revvy, thanks im going to check those both out right now!

stevecaaster said:
Thanks a lot everyone, especially revvy for printing out that recipe page! , o well I guess I may have to let it sit for a year!

Nah, it won't be anywhere near that bad.....baring other issues.

I made an almost identical recipe as my first recipe that I ever created and it was a fairly decent stong American style stout after a typical 1/2/3 conditioning period.

stevecaaster said:
cheezy your very right, it was like 5 am, I was up all night/morning here in NY and after i clicked the post button I saw the title I was like ehhhhhh, did i write that. I thought i sounded a little too serious, but then i thought it might be a good name for the beer when its done "I'll have a Jesus I killed my stout"

Revvy, thanks im going to check those both out right now!

Right on Brother! Or maybe a "Black as Sin, Savior Stout"? lol. Then there was the 12th gate of hell thing......

It will taste good! I would bet my soul on it.

stevecaaster said:

When I first saw the post, I thought the subject was "Jesus Killed My Stout." I thought, "man, what did this guy do to deserve that sort of retribution?!"

TL

Latest posts

Back