JB Weld or RTV Silicone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dgonza9

Reaction score
I just made several heat sticks using JB Weld and the design that keeps the Jb Weld inside the chrome and off your beer. My question is, why do so many of us use JB Weld instead of RTV Silicone?

Just about all the tutorials for heat sticks discuss JB Weld. It's considered non toxic and probably is, but the RTV silicone is actually FDA approved for food usage, is heat resistant, and seems to me like it's be waaaay easier to use in a build. You could easily pour it in over your connections, instead of having to thin JB Weld and try and pour it in.

Who out there is using RTV silicone? Why are so many of us using JB Weld instead? I'm sure my heat sticks will be fine, but the RTV silicone seems to be a much better idea.

I'd like to hear from anyone using RTV. Thanks.

I'd like to hear also....I've used JB weld for a lot of things, and the fact that it cements things in place AND seals is a big plus. But I have to admit I'd rather use a silicon based chemical.

jb weld and similar epoxy putties are much more dimensionally stable than silicone rtv sealant. you could use silicone, but i wouldn't trust it to provide 100% electrical insulation for very long in an immersed, heated situation..........

Why is it less "stable"? It's temp resistant to 400F, flexible and waterproof. Are you saying it cracks?

Just my $.02 but I used JB-Weld because I can't peel it off with my fingers. (Re: Dimensionally Stable) I can pull apart fully cured RTV Silicone, but can pretty beat JB with a hammer before it starts to even chip a little.

Back