Jargon, lingo etc.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin K

Reaction score
This week is my first serious week of researching brewing my own beer. Can anyone point me towards a brewing glossary, in order for me to decode WTF you guys are saying? :D

Thanks!

Kevin

check out www.howtobrew.com. after reading that you'll have a good idea (well, as good an idea as any of us have) of WTF we are saying. :)

if that dosn't clear things up, just post of a list of confusing terms and we'll muddle your understanding further. :D

Palmer STARTS off with his glossary, has a good index and you can search the online version. The hard copy is Rev. 3, buy it.

david_42 said:
Palmer STARTS off with his glossary, has a good index and you can search the online version. The hard copy is Rev. 3, buy it.
I must have missed that. :) I'll check again.

Thanks guys, appreciate the quick responses.

Kevin

I'm currently reading How To Brew online, and it is a great read. I'm almost through it, and I learned a ton, and I knew very little before reading it.

Kevin K said:
http://www.howtobrew.com/glossary.html

Found the glossary, and emailed John Palmer to see if Rev. 3 will be available before June 2006. I'd like to get started before that time. I'll post his reply here.
You don't need to wait for the new edition to get started brewing...there's plenty in the online edition to get you going right now. :)

I'll spend the weekend reading, and see where we go from there. Until then, I'll have to continue buying .5L wheat beer, and saving the bottles! :D

Here is a short glossary that might be useful. In the same way that Eskimos have something like twenty six words for snow, brewers have many words that essentially mean or are related to "gunk." As in:

Trub = gunk at the bottom of the fermenter.

Krausen = gunk at the top of the fermenter.

Floaties = gunk suspended between the top and bottom of the fermenter.

Sediment = gunk at the bottom of the bottle.

Bottle conditioning = making it sound like bottle gunk is a good thing.

Racking = moving from one big container to another to help get rid of gunk.

Finings = stuff to prevent floating gunk.

See? Nothing to it. All you have to do is assume that whatever secret code word used relates to gunk and you are in on the code. :)

I think that the most often used bit of jargon on this board is SWMBO . . . which speaks highly to how many of the guys on this board wear the pants in their relationships . . . I mean, come on . . . get some hand, fellows!!! :mad:

Seriously . . . I brew when i want, how I want, and as much as I want. Then, I leave my gear all over the kitchen for her to clean up. She always cleans up after boil overs as well ;) .

JK . . . if you couldn't tell. I hope SWMBO doesn't read this thread . . . :eek:

It didn't take me long to figure out SWMBO means...and yes, I've got one too.

It was actually her idea that I start brewing beer. Bless her soul, she's a keeper. :D

SteveM said:
Here is a short glossary that might be useful. In the same way that Eskimos have something like twenty six words for snow, brewers have many words that essentially mean or are related to "gunk." As in:

Trub = gunk at the bottom of the fermenter.

Krausen = gunk at the top of the fermenter.

Floaties = gunk suspended between the top and bottom of the fermenter.

Sediment = gunk at the bottom of the bottle.

Bottle conditioning = making it sound like bottle gunk is a good thing.

Racking = moving from one big container to another to help get rid of gunk.

Finings = stuff to prevent floating gunk.

See? Nothing to it. All you have to do is assume that whatever secret code word used relates to gunk and you are in on the code. :)

What is this "gunk" of which you speak? Boy, . . . brewing would be a lot easier without jargon like this! :p

Back