Japanese/asian hops (Humulus japonicus)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Priemus

Reaction score
I've spent the last 65 minutes 48 seconds (started at the kickoff to Germany Vs Argentina ;) ) Looking for a definitive answer, but I cant find one, not in these forums, google or other.

Humulus japonicus.

I Got some of these seeds today, I can't find any information on their usability in beer making.

No A-acid, lupalin, recipes, nadda.

So, anyone ever tried growing these hops? or tried making beer with them?

Any idea on their suitability for bittering, flavouring, aroma?

Cant believe there is such little information about them.

I Got some of these seeds...
Hop varieties are propagated by rhizomes, which are clones of the parents (no genetic shuffle). Seeds are from the genetic shuffle known as sexual reproduction. Each seed is a new variety.
Beyond that though, from http://www.ars-grin.gov/cor/humulus/huminfo.html
H. japonicus is a dioecious annual native to Asia where it is widespread as an aggressive weed. It has large, seven-lobed leaves, long internodes, and extremely strong hooked climbing hairs. Although it is reportedly used as an ornamental, primarily for hedges, its aggressive nature and particularly strong climbing hairs make it unpleasant to handle and potentially an invasive weed. The female inflorescence is smaller than the cone of H. lupulus and there are few glands on either its leaves or cones, making it of no value to the brewing industry.
Emphasis added.

PS: I'd throw those seeds away, no sense propagating an "invasive weed".

Sometimes, no information is because there is no application. Toss the seeds, but not anywhere they might take root.

Those are ornamentals. They have no use in brewing as they don't produce sufficient amounts of lupulin.

They are nice ornamentals to have but since you have seeds, you could produce males which you would not want anywhere near any good brewing hops you may get (I'm assuming that they are genetically close enough to breed, I might be wrong here).

Highhops is probably one of the few places you can get brewing hop plants this time of year http://www.highhops.net/

Normally people purchase rhizomes in the early spring and plant them then.

I've spent the last 65 minutes 48 seconds (started at the kickoff to Germany Vs Argentina ;) ) Looking for a definitive answer, but I cant find one, not in these forums, google or other.

Humulus japonicus.

I Got some of these seeds today, I can't find any information on their usability in beer making.

No A-acid, lupalin, recipes, nadda.

So, anyone ever tried growing these hops? or tried making beer with them?

Any idea on their suitability for bittering, flavouring, aroma?

Cant believe there is such little information about them.

they look pretty cool and will cover whatever you don't want to see in a hurry. but just like the link said, the climbing hairs are a LOT more irritating than humulus lupulus. i've had a bunch of seeds for a few years but never had a chance to plant any. hopefully, next spring i'll have time to throw a few into the earth and see what happens.

adios

My mother planted these a several years ago as ornamentals over a walk through trellis. Dad is still peed off, they are still coming back after they got pulled out at least three years ago.

Back