JAOM refractometer reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sputnam

Reaction score
i forgot to take an OG reading and while kegging, I decided to get a FG just for fun.

it was 18.8!?!?!?!?!

it's been in fermenter for 9 months. It tastes fine, I have a slight buzz after a small sample. Is this possible?

No.

Refractometers measure the refraction of light through a sugar solution. Alcohol skews this, so it is not done after fermentation begins.

If you use a hydrometer you can get a FG.

There are calculators online that can help guestimate a real FG via calculations, but it requires an accurate OG reading.

Yooper, thank you for your reply...you are about the most helpful person on this forum. I regularly use a refractometer for readings on my beer. I have a calculator that corrects the reading after fermentation. A normal beer reading would be something like

OG- 18 = 1.074
FG - 8 = 1.011
abv - 8.71%

i have found this very close to accurate as compared to hydrometer but it's MUCH easier and uses WAY less of my precious liquid.

A reading after fermentation of almost 19 just sounds crazy to me...was just wondering if anyone else uses a refractometer and what they may be getting on a JAOM.
But again, my sincere thanks....and Clay Matthews rules

Yooper, thank you for your reply...you are about the most helpful person on this forum. I regularly use a refractometer for readings on my beer. I have a calculator that corrects the reading after fermentation. A normal beer reading would be something like

OG- 18 = 1.074
FG - 8 = 1.011
abv - 8.71%

i have found this very close to accurate as compared to hydrometer but it's MUCH easier and uses WAY less of my precious liquid.

A reading after fermentation of almost 19 just sounds crazy to me...was just wondering if anyone else uses a refractometer and what they may be getting on a JAOM.
But again, my sincere thanks....and Clay Matthews rules

Yes, for beer it might approximate it close enough.

For higher alcohol beverages, well, no. There is more alcohol, which skews the light refraction, and wines and meads will naturally ferment to .990 or until the alcohol toxicity level of the yeast is reached.

If you used 3.5# of honey for your JOAM (if you didn't you can't call it JOAM :cross:) you should have had a OG of ~1.145. This correlates to a Brix of over 30. Your current BRIX of 18.8 corresponds to a SG of ~1.03 and an ABV in the 14%-15% range (see caveat below.) I recently made modified JOAM which finished at a SG of 1.017 and a Brix of 16.4. I think yours has fermented out well. As Yooper indicated, once you get the OG much past 1.100 the online calculators can be off by 5-10 final gravity points. At least that is my experience. If you keep your refractometer calibrated and use it properly it can serve you as well as a hydrometer.

If you used 3.5# of honey for your JOAM (if you didn't you can't call it JOAM :cross:) you should have had a OG of ~1.145. This correlates to a Brix of over 30. Your current BRIX of 18.8 corresponds to a SG of ~1.03 and an ABV in the 14%-15% range (see caveat below.) I recently made modified JOAM which finished at a SG of 1.017 and a Brix of 16.4. I think yours has fermented out well. As Yooper indicated, once you get the OG much past 1.100 the online calculators can be off by 5-10 final gravity points. At least that is my experience. If you keep your refractometer calibrated and use it properly it can serve you as well as a hydrometer.

i did 5 gallons and used 17.5# honey. But that's awesome info, thanks

Back