JAOM Question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfrans84

Reaction score
I have a 1 gallon batch going right now, and have a quick question.
It's on day 63 and it's crystal clear but very little fruit has dropped. Only about five raisins. What do I do now? Do I just wait til it all falls?

At 63 days your fermentation should be complete, and if its crystal clear you can either bottle it or rack it into a secondary. JAOM can be drank after 2 months like it says but is even better at 6+ months, I like doing some bulk aging so would go secondary myself, flavors mellow and marry even better and it helps guarantee crystal clear bottles since racking might stir up the bread yeast a little because it doesn't have the flocculation and solid yeast cake abilities of wine yeast. Fruit doesn't know its supposed to sink and occasionally it will just hang out at the top of the fermenter so don't worry if it hasn't all fallen out.

Thanks. But the fruit should know now. I've been yelling at it everyday to sink. Stupid fruit.

Thanks. But the fruit should know now. I've been yelling at it everyday to sink. Stupid fruit.

Lol, some times CO2 gets trapped on the poors of the fruit so you may try "tapping" the jar to let loose some bubbles. That helped JOAMs fruit fall and also you find yeast stuck to the fruit so if you do that you may need to give several days for the yeast that's off the fruit to settle.

But good idea on the racking to secondary. I would bet after another 30 days in secondary you notice more lees forming at the bottom. Mine did.

Mine has been going since Dec 16, all o fthe fruit has recently dropped, like within the last month. I need to get it off the yeast soon, man I cant wait to try it.

I have a guava raspberry mead that I made throwing "only still good for another day" fruit that was left over in the fridge in about January. Guavas are descending in bits. I think the think the whole fruit falling thing causes more people to get nervous than anything else.

All of a sudden. It all falls.

image-353396931.jpg

All of a sudden. It all falls.

View attachment 61280

great color and crystal clear, looks delicious, nice job....

Id throw that fruit away quick seeing as how it was being all uncooperative, don't need trouble makers like that laying around the house.

Unless maybe it was the mead...screwing with you holding it up there, perhaps you should just dispose of it all by sending us each a sample to prevent future beligerance.

great color and crystal clear, looks delicious, nice job....

Id throw that fruit away quick seeing as how it was being all uncooperative, don't need trouble makers like that laying around the house.

Unless maybe it was the mead...screwing with you holding it up there, perhaps you should just dispose of it all by sending us each a sample to prevent future beligerance.

I think he has the right idea. Listen to the voice of reason...

image-776203620.jpg

Had to try it. It's very hot with a slight taste if cinnamon. It's so hot I can barley discern any other flavors. I'll wait til the rest of the fruit to drop, rack it. Ill just put it in the bottom of the closet and forget about for a couple of months.

Back