JAOM HoneyJack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BILTIT

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
A little intense with the clove i used (the mead itself is pretty strong clove wise) but with some time i think it will be very tasty.

Anyone else jacking mead?

20170319_185908.jpg

Making good jacked mead requires a few things:
1. A perfectly clean mead. Absolutely no fusels or off flavors.
2. Flavors you want to concentrate. I doubt cloves is one of them.
3. A sweetness level you don't mind making sweeter. Sugar concentrates as well!
4. Legality in your area or the ability to drink all evidence [emoji6]

Biltit! Sour wood honey makes a good jacked version! Very flavorful. I did not use any other ingredients, it was a traditional mead. Can taste the honey long after drinking. Makes you warm.

Hi all,

So I was given 5 gallons of mead a friend made about 5 years earlier and lost interest in.
I opening it up and sampled some and it was almost dead. Not a lot of acid, the cinnamon they put in hadn't toned down much, and the whole thing was out of balance and past its prime.

So I decided to jack it and see if I could bring out the acid and honey character.

I did 3 freeze cycles, the coldest being at around -20C and it lives! The acid is back, and the sweetness nicely offsets the alcohol heat. The honey is there again, and surprisingly, the cinnamon isn't all that more prominent. Maybe some got stripped out in the process.

What I have is now hazy and I'm expecting it to drop a sediment over the next few weeks. Interesting because it was bright going in.

Back