JAOM clone..this sound right?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyweed

Reaction score
Guys, I got an Orange/spice recipe off of stormthecastle.com, Basically a clone of JAOM. I am just wondering if this baby is finished?

Recipe:
1 packet Fleischman's yeast
25 raisins
1 cinnamon stick
1 whole orange, sliced and peels included
1 pinch allspice
1 pinch nutmeg
3.5lbs of clover honey

Mix all ingredients and pitch yeast. Leave all ingredients 2 months or so..when oranges sink to the bottom, rack to remove oranges and raisins and let clear.

So, I started this 1 gallon batch on: 10/18/08 78F...I don't have OG

today I racked it off the fruit (12/21/08) 70F, and S.G. was 1.030

I am getting 1 bubble every 30 seconds in the airlock now that it's racked.

So, should I bottle and let her mellow, or let it go for a while yet in the secondary?

Dan

Well you may or may not be done yet, so I certainly wouldn't bottle before you knew that. Also, is it clear yet?

As long as it's clear, wait a couple more days and take another hydro reading. If it stays the same, you're good to go. 1.030 sounds like a reasonable FG number. Although it certainly could go all the way to 1.000.

If it's bubbling that fast, you're still fermenting. You can attempt to stabilize, but it may not work yet. I'd wait awhile.

If you insist on bottling, use plastic 1 liter bottles. You don't want glass shrapnel flying everywhere.

Yeah...I'm gonna just use my old reliable "less is more" attitude again....and just let it sit, bubble a little bit and clear...it is still cloudy...so nothing hurt just letting it sit til it's all clear.

Thanks
Dan

Short answer - Let it sit until crystal clear, your be happy you did.

Long answer - Warning:
Still bubbling, means nothing. De-gasing, etc can really miss-guide you.
Still cloudy =yeast still doing their thing. SG of 1.030 is very high for bottling, even if you used a sweet mead yeast.
You are right on schedule for the recipe, but believe me, your yeast don't know it and don't give a da.. about your timetable.
I would recommend adding the spices after around a week or so into fermentation. Real cinnamon has oils that slow fungi (yeast), and other beasties. It depends more on the yeast pitch volume and activity, but as a general rule of thumb....
Best of luck, and just give the mead as much time as you can stand, the more the better.

Back