Jao bomm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reapernazara

Reaction score
So I did loveofrose jao bomm 5 gal. FG was 1.124 I ended adding .020 gravity of honey during the middle of fermentation. It ended up fermenting out to 1.004. I added another .020 of honey and it hasn't fermented that. I also just cut up the whole orange and stuck peel and all in. After about 5-6 weeks of aging and two vanilla beans in secondary, keep in mind this is a bomm, it has a very bitter taste and alcohol bite, does not taste highly of orange just a hint. The vanilla beans helped the bitterness but only so much. Any suggestions? Should I just keep letting it age? Should I add more vanilla beans? I've been thinking about adding some fresh squeezed oj, maybe the sweetness and flavor of oj will mellow out the bitterness? In loveofrose recipe I believe he ended up with a fg of 1.038

The bitterness is from the orange pith. It will take 4+ months to age out which is why I don't add the pith.

The final gravity of 1.038 is critical as well, but you can add to taste.

The orange flavor has a way of coming back after a dormant period of a few months. It will still be good, but it will take long with the pith.

Better brewing through science!

Well darn. I was hoping to be drinking it already! What do you think about adding oj to raise the gravity? Or should I stick with honey?

Stick with honey. OJ will also increase the acidity and throw the entire balance out of whack. It will still be good, just needs more time.

I'm very detailed in my instructions for a good reason! I know it's a lot of work to strip the zest off, but the pith is just too bitter for fast consumption.

I didn't really get what you were meaning by easy on the pith, but figured it after, wish I would have done that way cuz I really wanna drink it. Will the alcohol bite go away as well with time?

All of mine never had any bite. I don't know if it's high ABV, fusels, or pith. Can you distinguish?

I think it's high abv, given an adjusted og of 1.144 it fermented down to 1.004 that's about 16%. It's not hot just bite.

Medium toast American oak for at least one month will handle that alcohol heat. Bonus is that it adds vanilla notes too.

Well that's funny is just been reading about oaking on here and thinking I should do that. Thanks for the help

Well that bitternes did age out, and I actually dont care much for the taste, although everybody who tries it thinks its incredibly good. So I guess it did turn out a success, I have been drinking on it and it does seem to taste better every time but not sure if I will make this one again, though Iight and actually do it right.

Back