Janet's Brown (Brewing Classic Styles)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig311

Reaction score
Just tried my first bottle and it is far and away the best beer I've ever made. Holy crap!

I mean... HOLY CRAP THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST BEERS I'VE EVER HAD type of holy crap.

I have been brewing all grain for a few years now (extract for a year or 2 before that), reading, listening to podcasts, reading more, making mistakes, brewing ok beers, etc. and have never executed a brew so flawlessly. The brew session, the fermentation, the bottling, etc finally seemed to fall into place.

I am beside myself drinking this beer. My wife is drinking her first dogfish pumpkin of the year and simultaneously ignoring my achievement. :mug:

I am beside myself drinking this beer. My wife is drinking her first dogfish pumpkin of the year and simultaneously ignoring my achievement. :mug:

I love that last part!

Congrats on a job well done! I wish I could say the same... I just tried my first Janet's Brown today as well! My ferment didn't go nearly as flawlessly as yours, but it's still pretty danged good! Congrats again! :ban::mug:

I have done this once before as well and was also blown away by the result. I'll be doing my second batch next week hopefully.

I just did a modified version of this, and, yeah, it's probably the best beer I've brewed. Then again, it's the first beer I've brewed that has had the benefit of all of my improved processes.

Welcome to the Janet's brown fan club. My favorite recipe hands down.. hit's everything I like in a beer, smooth, roasty, bitter, hoppy. I've brewed it 6 times in a year... in fact I have one dry hopping right now.

Good to hear the praises of this recipe. It's on my list of recipes to try. Now I think I'll move it to the top of that list!

We'll be brewing a slightly modified version (to minimize waste of ingredients) soon. This will likely be our last extract batch before going all grain after we return from vacation next month. If this beer turns out to be as good as people claim, it'll likely be brewed as an all-grain batch at some point.

EricCSU said:
If you are trying to time it for competition, it peaks at 8 weeks. Tasty gave me that tip and I have found it to be spot on.

Eric

Is that 8 weeks in bottles?

Is that 8 weeks in bottles?

Grain to glass.

From brewday to drinking.

You can definitely drink it earlier, but the peak merging of hop flavor/aroma and malt comes around 8 weeks. That is when kegging and keeping the beer refrigerated. Perhaps it occurs slightly earlier if bottled and kept at room temp for 3 weeks. That peak timeframe will last longer if refrigerated though.

Eric

Brewed my first Janet's Brown in early October and damn was it good. My Mich Ultra drinking wife as well as my co-workers were all over it. Sadly I only do 5gl batches. The last half pint was used to compare to a Moose Drool. The moose was good, but I'm making more Janet's. Tasty McDole is the man.

I love how renowned this beer is. I think someone needs to tally up the awards it's won both by Tasty, as well as the many others who have brewed it.

I have 5 gallons in primary right now, and am very excited about it. It was the first batch I have done a started for, and it took off like crazy, so I'm hoping all goes well from here on out.

Grain to glass.

From brewday to drinking.

You can definitely drink it earlier, but the peak merging of hop flavor/aroma and malt comes around 8 weeks. That is when kegging and keeping the beer refrigerated. Perhaps it occurs slightly earlier if bottled and kept at room temp for 3 weeks. That peak timeframe will last longer if refrigerated though.

Eric

And just to re-say what you have, 8 weeks was pretty right on. It starting degrading pretty quickly after that....I mean, it still tasted good but not nearly as good.

Just tried my first bottle and it is far and away the best beer I've ever made. Holy crap!

I mean... HOLY CRAP THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST BEERS I'VE EVER HAD type of holy crap.

I have been brewing all grain for a few years now (extract for a year or 2 before that), reading, listening to podcasts, reading more, making mistakes, brewing ok beers, etc. and have never executed a brew so flawlessly. The brew session, the fermentation, the bottling, etc finally seemed to fall into place.

Did you do the extract or all grain?

I've brewed the imperial version of this. I look forward to each bottle. I do wonder how the normal version compares.

grathan said:
I've brewed the imperial version of this. I look forward to each bottle. I do wonder how the normal version compares.

Out of curiosity, what is the imperial version? I always thought the original *is* the imperial version?

Love this beer.

Just do a search, it is all over the place and pointless to repost.

I found that it was excellent 21 days out and while it changed it was never any better than the first sip. Gone by 8 weeks.

Nice! I am brewing Janet's for the first time on Tuesday.

Brewed it yesterday...all went well.....or so I thought. Forgot to add the Cascades at flameout:eek:. oh well....I will just dry hop with Cascades and Centennials. I am sure it will still turn out great!!

Had to necro this thread because I finally got Janet's Brown Ale on tap (had no room in the fridge) and let me tell you... this is a fabulous beer. Big Fan!

Brewed it yesterday...all went well.....or so I thought. Forgot to add the Cascades at flameout:eek:. oh well....I will just dry hop with Cascades and Centennials. I am sure it will still turn out great!!

Just had my first taste.....WOW!! That is a fantastic beer. Love the combo of roast and hoppiness.

Back