Jamil's Evil Twin Mini Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smata67

Reaction score
I'm going to modify the all extract Jamil's Evil Twin (northernbrewer recipe) to a mini-mash, using their all grain recipe as a guide. Here are the two:

Extract
http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/beerkits/JamilsEvilTwin.pdf

Grain
http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/allgrain/AG-JamilsEvilTwin.pdf

The extract recipe malt/seeping grain schedule:

7 lb Munton's Light Dry Extract
.75 lb Caramel 40L
.375 lb Caramel 120L
.25 lb Pale Chocolate

The all grain recipe has this grain schedule:

10 lb English Maris Otter
1 lb German Munich malt
.75 lb Caramel 40L
.375 lb Victory
.375 lb Caramel 120L
.25 lb Pale Chocolate

So, I punched in the original extract recipe in Beersmith, collected the FG, OG, SRM, and ABV. I duplicated the use of .375 lb Victory and 1 lb Munich Malt in the grain recipe and also added 2 lb of Maris Otter for mashing. I do plan on also mashing the seeping grains. I reduced the Light Dry Malt from 7 lb to 6.5 lb to match the ABV. I plan on mashing all at 150F for 60 minutes, followed by 170F at 10 minutes.

One thing I'm concerned about, is how little impact the mashing grains (an additional 3.375 lb of grain) have on reducing my malt extract. Based on Beersmith, I only need to reduce the DME by .5 lb to end up with the same ABV. This has happened to me on other converted recipes, shouldn't I be seeing a greater reduction in dry extract?

I realize its been awhile since you posted this but I wonder the same thing when converting to partial mash.
One example: A recipe called for #1 wheat DME and #1 amber DME (late additions). I switched it to 5oz wheat DME 1#amber DME and added a pound of wheat malt and half pound of amber malt.
I winded up missing my desired OG by .005 (i was pissed).
Bottle line, I think its tough to get enough fermentable sugars with just adding and subtracting grains and DME.
But... we should probably switch to AG rather than pondering Partial mash conversions.

I have made this as an all grain recipe. This is a delicious beer - you'll enjoy it. Hopbursting is a great technique.

This is a helpful article and worth the time to review. Even if you have brewing software, it is a useful exercise to do your first few partial mash and/or extract conversions manually. It's good to understand what's happening in the grain bill as you start to move to partial mash and perhaps eventually to all grain.

http://home.roadrunner.com/~brewbeer/extract/pres.pdf

Cheers :mug:

This is how I did it and it came out great. I always mash 6 lb of grain to get 3 gallons of wort which can be boiled in a 4 or 5 gallon pot. The recipe is based on the Mr. Malty one, you can also look at NB for their variations. I actually went with the addition of .25 oz Columbus 60 min and .5 Columbus 20 min as described in their grain recipe. Mash at 154F for 60 min. This is definitely one of the greats, should be on everyone's first ten brews list.

2.75 lb Maris Otter (Crisp) (4.0 SRM) Grain 32.50 % 90 min
1.00 lb Caramel Malt - 40L (Briess) (40.0 SRM) Grain 10.00 % 90 min
1.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 10.00 % 90 min
0.50 lb Caramel Malt - 120L (Briess) (120.0 SRM) Grain 5.00 % 90 min
0.50 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 5.00 % 90 min
0.25 lb Pale Chocolate Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (200.0 SRM) Grain 2.50 % 90 min
4 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 35.00 % 60 min
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (20 min) Hops 6.1 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (20 min) Hops 5.2 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (10 min) Hops 7.3 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (10 min) Hops 6.2 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (0 min)