Jamils cream ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedHouse

Reaction score
I recently made a batch of this, and was very pleased with it. On fact, we went through it very quickly.

I'd like to brew another batch, but would like to drop the abv a bit. The recipe (ag) calls for a pound of corn sugar. If I reduce that, will it still ferment as dry, but reduce the alcohol?

Thanks for any advice.

It might not taste as dry b/c the added alcohol makes it seem drier. But, assuming all the corn sugar was fermented in the first batch, it should reach the same FG.

Actually, that is not true. The higher alcohol version will have a lower FG as alcohol has a lower density than water. (think actual attenuation vs. apparent attenuation)
Well, numbers aren't so important. I think removing the sugar is what you are looking to do.

Removing the sugar will drop the ABV, but you might not get what you expect (Beerific's point about dropping the sugar and the attenuation).

My 2cents: I'd try to down-grade the entire grain/sugar bill. I'd use something like BeerSmith to reduce every grain and fermentable adjunct (sugar, corn) aiming to keep the same % for each as the original recipe until I hit a FG that I thought was more reasonable. Essentially scaling the batch down but for FG instead of volume.

I would remove the same percent of all grain and sugar. Thats the only way to end up with the same taste.
BTW, I love this recipee, and have another 10 gals fermenting as we speak.

Thanks guys.....I'll mess around with beersmith and try to adjust the FG.

Back