Jamil style chillers. Anybody making them for sale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

korndog

Reaction score
I just bought a Blichman Therminator, but am thinking of selling it and going with the Jamil whirlpool system because it seems so logical on paper. I have not even used the plate chiller yet, but reading the manual has me dreading the purchase. Is (would) anybody making these to fit nicely in a 14 gallon Italian kettle?

Thanks
KD

You can still use the plate chiller and recirculate/whirlpool. I think in his writeup he even states that doing that is perfectly fine. That's what I do (with a CFC) until the entire kettle is down below 140'. I could keep going, but at that point it's easy to just xfer to the fermenter. That therminator is a bad ass chiller will more chilling capacity than an IC. I wouldn't ditch it for something else.

Lil' Sparky said:
You can still use the plate chiller and recirculate/whirlpool. I think in his writeup he even states that doing that is perfectly fine. That's what I do (with a CFC) until the entire kettle is down below 140'. I could keep going, but at that point it's easy to just xfer to the fermenter. That therminator is a bad ass chiller will more chilling capacity than an IC. I wouldn't ditch it for something else.

Yeah, after sleeping on this, I am reconsidering. I just hate to have extra cleanup hassles if I can avoid them, but I guess it's not much worse. Thanks for the heads-up.

SenorWanderer said:
would like to tell us what a jamil style chiller is? links maybe?
http://www.mrmalty.com/chiller.php

I bought the parts to make one. But I can't decide if I should do an immersion chiller or recirculate through a CFC. I am thinking the CFC will be faster, but it might be more work to build and maintain. Not sure if it would be worth it.

Edit: BTW, why do you want a pre-built one? Just buy a premade IC and add a pump, silicone tubing and a piece of copper tubing for the recirc back into the pot. Morebeer.com pretty much sells everything you need (you will have to fashion the return tube).

I think I was overly concerned about cleaning the plate chiller, but I have been told that it's not too bad after all. The Jamil concept just makes a lot of sense to me, but I think I will get similar results using setting up a whirlpool with my second pump and using the plate chiller.

Yes, I could have bought an IC and modify it, but I was hoping to have one made that fit just inside my kettle, so as to allow maximum area for the cone. I made an IC many years ago, and it looked awful.

Holy Sh%$%T
I just used my Thermonator, and this thing rocks! I had to work to keep my temp warm enough draining into my fermenter (with garden water). What kind of magic is this? It's evil, I tell you. Easy cleaning too with the right fittings. Absolutely shocking.

KD

Yeah, my Shirron takes 7 minutes per 5 gallons. Factor in the winter tap water and I get down to 54-58 degrees that quickly.

The only downfall is that all the cold break ends up in the fermenter. I don't have a problem with cleaning, although it can be a pain in the arse sometimes.

(I immediately back flush with hot water, soak in star san, soak in oxyclean, flush again, then bake dry).

Back