Jamil recipe ingredients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

secinarot

Reaction score
I just bought Brewing Classic Styles and started pricing up some of the recipes. I'm somewhat of a beginner and have been brewing with kits for the most part. I was really surprised at how expensive the ingredients worked out to be - $50 - $70 for an extract batch in many cases. I think most of it is the hops that Jamil uses - I am looking at some of the more hoppy beers. Plus he bases the recipes on a 7 gal. boil so the amount of extract is more than you would find in a kit.

Does anyone have any suggestions to reduce the price a bit or is that the cost of brewing a really good beer?

Jamil also formulates his recipes with some specialty extracts that may be difficult to find at times. What specific recipes were you looking at? We might be able to tweak it.

Switch to all-grain. Buy a mill and buy grain in bulk.

Jamil also formulates his recipes with some specialty extracts that may be difficult to find at times. What specific recipes were you looking at? We might be able to tweak it.

The one that I was really interested in is the Janet's Brown Ale. I plugged it into Beersmith and had to substitute Perle for Northern Brewer hops since they are not available.

8.40 lb Light LME (2.2 SRM)
1.00 lb Wheat Liquid Extract (4.0 SRM)
1.25 lb Caramel Malt - 40L (Briess) (40.0 SRM)
1.25 lb Carapils (Briess) (1.5 SRM)
0.50 lb Chocolate Dark 6-Row (Briess) (420.0 SRM)
2.00 oz Centennial [9.00 %] (Dry Hop 5 days)
2.00 oz Pearle [6.50 %] (60 min)
1.00 oz Pearle [6.50 %] (15 min)
1.50 oz Cascade [6.00 %] (10 min)
1.50 oz Cascade [6.00 %] (0 min)
1 Pkgs Safale US-05 (Fermentis)

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.064 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.018 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.97 %
Bitterness: 65.7 IBU
Est Color: 22.3 SRM

The hops alone are about $26 at NB.

Hops are expensive now, so that explains the high cost of that recipe I guess. 8 ounces of hops is a lot of hops!

I think you could adjust the hops to be cheaper, at least the bittering hops. You said that you're subbing perle for the nothern brewer hops. Instead of two ounces of perle for bittering, you could use one ounce of galena, for example.

The flavor hops are different- you can't really sub anything out for the cascade, or even for the perle flavor addition.

I guess the alternative is to not making recipes with that many hops. I now have a stash in my freezer, from buying in bulk, but occasionally I still buy hops by the ounce. That is a real killer, that's for sure.

Yeah eight oz of hops are going to kill you. I've brewed many of the recipes from his book. I did all grain and the ingrediants were fairly cheap. I did steer away from his recipes like this that called for 8 oz of hops.

Go for some of the recipes that call for lower IBU's.

I brewed an Amber, stout, porter, Belgian Pale Ale, and a few others from this book. Brewing the Belgian triple this weekend.

You might have to wait until the hops BS is over.

Yeah, those hops can indeed get expensive- and a good reason to buy some ingredients in bulk. I get my whole leaf and some pellets from FresHops and HopsDirect.

I know Williams Brewing has Centennial and Cascade for $2/oz, not sure on the NB or Perle.

EDIT: I just checked NB, and those hop prices are definitely spendy.

If you stick with that hop schedule, you're going to have a expensive batch just because of the market rate for hops. I assume that is an American Brown.

Other than substitutions and bulk buying hops, you're not going to get the price down all that much for the really hoppy American beers. :(

...I brewed an Amber, stout, porter, Belgian Pale Ale, and a few others from this book. Brewing the Belgian triple this weekend.

You might have to wait until the hops BS is over.

I was thinking along the same lines - go for a less hoppy beer. How did the Amber come out?

Maybe it's just me, but a 1.065 brown ale with 66IBU's sounds a bit unusual.

Course...I like my brown ales on the malty side.

That sounds like an IPA with some dark malt in it.

What category is it that has a 66IBU Brown Ale?

Maybe it's just me, but a 1.065 brown ale with 66IBU's sounds a bit unusual.

Course...I like my brown ales on the malty side.

That sounds like an IPA with some dark malt in it.

What category is it that has a 66IBU Brown Ale?

Jamil says that it's a bit out of style for American Brown but still close. The recipe is actually Tasty McDole's.

The one that I was really interested in is the Janet's Brown Ale. I plugged it into Beersmith and had to substitute Perle for Northern Brewer hops since they are not available.

8.40 lb Light LME (2.2 SRM)
1.00 lb Wheat Liquid Extract (4.0 SRM)
1.25 lb Caramel Malt - 40L (Briess) (40.0 SRM)
1.25 lb Carapils (Briess) (1.5 SRM)
0.50 lb Chocolate Dark 6-Row (Briess) (420.0 SRM)
2.00 oz Centennial [9.00 %] (Dry Hop 5 days)
2.00 oz Pearle [6.50 %] (60 min)
1.00 oz Pearle [6.50 %] (15 min)
1.50 oz Cascade [6.00 %] (10 min)
1.50 oz Cascade [6.00 %] (0 min)
1 Pkgs Safale US-05 (Fermentis)

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.064 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.018 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.97 %
Bitterness: 65.7 IBU
Est Color: 22.3 SRM

The hops alone are about $26 at NB.

You're going to love that beer, I brewed the exact same thing except converted to AG right after I bought his book last spring. Even had to substitute Perle (7.7%) for NB hops for the same reason you did. It turned out great and was basically gone in a week.

The only thing I would ever do different is cut back on the chocolate.

Back