Jalapeno Pale Ale advice needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Druish_00

Reaction score
Today I brewed what I want to eventually become a somewhat spicy jalapeno pale ale. I used Edwort's Haus Pale, but put 2 chopped up jalapenos in the kettle with 5 minutes left in the boil. When i tested the OG before putting it in the fermenter, there was really no heat. There was a little flavor of jalapeno.

My question is: how do I make it more spicy without overdoing it? I was thinking of putting 4 sliced jalapenos in the secondary for 7-10 days then kegging.

Any advice on making a jalapeno beer would be great!

Thanks!

Try crushed red pepper flakes.They wont add any more flavor just heat.Maybe try 1 TBS in secondary?Good luck!

You're a closet sadist aren't you? :D

The very first jalapeno beer I brewed I ended up placing a small pepper...with the bottom tip cut off to expose the seeds to the beer and several slices down the sides...in each bottle. After 6 months even my Mexican neighbors couldn't drink it because it was so hot.

My last chili's batch was with Serrano's...only 3 peppers in the boil...the "Tres Amigo's"

maybe add some frostbite hot sauce to the secondary, it is water soluable, flavorless, and has a scoville rating of 500,000-600,000. I use it occasionally in my morning coffee, I also put a couple drops of it in a glass of raspberry-lemonade.

I used 4 peppers in the boil and 2 in the secondary and it was hardly any heat. This was of course me removing the seeds and veins. I need more heat next time.

maybe add some frostbite hot sauce to the secondary, it is water soluable, flavorless, and has a scoville rating of 500,000-600,000. I use it occasionally in my morning coffee, I also put a couple drops of it in a glass of raspberry-lemonade.

What the hell is wrong with you?!?!?!?!?!;)

I am a closet chile-head, I had some coffee in thailand made with ground chiles, it was spicy, yet good, got you awake and the blood pumping! this stuff gives me that same kick! it is also killer in a martini, and obviously in a bloody mary, or a bloody beer. I also added some to a coworkers water bottle, comedy ensued after a big chug off that one! I like it because its flavorless yet adds heat. try it in some homemade raspberry ice cream!!

Ooh. That sounds awesome in coffee.

Back