Jalapeno beer without the heat? Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toohopheads

Reaction score
I have tried several Jalapeno beers and did not like them because they were too hot and you really could not taste the Jalepeno flavor over the heat. I had the opportunity to try Woodman Brewing (Wisconsin) Jamarillo, Jalapeno infused blonde ale. It had the Jalapeno flavor minus the heat and I really enjoyed it. How can I get Jalapeno flavor without the heat? Any recipes out there? Suggestions?

Grow some jals that have no heat and brew. I can't think of what they are called but they are out there

Try a serrano pepper instead....very close to jalapeno pepper without the heat

I've taken 4 of them....boiled...chopped...devined and took the seeds out and lit sit in the beer for a week to get a good pepper beer

Anaheims are pretty good too, good pepper flavor without a lot of heat. Serrannos are still hot, but a "better" kind than jalapenos, not as in-your-face-heartburn! I have 3 anaheims and a serrano carbing in the keg right now. I'm thinking I'm going to add another serrano though, to get a little more flavor.

Fooled You Jalapenos have no heat. Serrano have more heat that jalapenos but it is a little different kind of burn. Most of the grocery store jalapenos dont have much heat in them to begin with though.

Can't you just remove the seeds and ribbing from the jalepenos before racking onto them? That's how I adjust the heat when cooking with them - the seeds and ribbing is where all of the capsaicin is found, the stuff that makes them hot.

I made a 1 gallon batch of Jalapeno Saison which was my favorite beer I brewed to date.

I added 1 jalapeno - seeded (ie: seeds removed) and diced - with 10 minutes remaining in the boil, and left it in the fermenter all throughout fermentation (3 weeks)

the beer has a great jalapeno nose, but isn't hot - just a nice pepper flavor.

I also tried brewing this beer again - I double the batch size, but tripled the pepper: I used 1 jalapeno and 2 chipotles this time - and left a few of the seeds in. There is much less pepper nose (cause the chipotles don't have the same nose as fresh jalapenos) and much more pepper heat/bite.

I can't post the picture but if you leave jalapeños on the plant long enough they turn bright red and lose some of their heat. Plus they get a more complex sweet flavor. Good luck finding them in the grocery store though. They are picked before they turn red so they produce a more plentiful crop. I grew some but they take forever to turn red. If I can get about 10-12 I may try a red jalapeño beer. I've got about 20 healthy green ones growing now. We'll see how they develop.

Here is a picture of a red jalapeño. I had never seen one until I grew my own. Super delicious without too much heat. Sorry if it's a huge pic.

image-3857365871.jpg

Back