Jade IPA Foothills looking for recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stryker_hass

Reaction score
These are the things I have found.

Coming in at 6.4% ABV (alcohol by volume) and 85 IBUs (International Bitterness Units), this American IPA is brewed with Cascade, Citra, and Jade hops

The rest is just beer review talk from various individuals.....

Jade IPA poured an average size head, foamy and frothy, lasting in nature. The color of this beer was a nice vibrant golden, like a color you might find in a sunrise

There’s malts here, too; a bit of caramel and straw

bright hazy orange coloration. It comes with a frothy white head that dissipates normally. On the nose, I found a strong marriage of pine resin and orange citrus. They play very well together and create an amazing aromatic balance that is clean and welcoming. I also found a hint of spice, which I would imagine is compliments of the Jade hops

The mouthfeel of this beer really took me by surprise because it is incredibly smooth to start, almost like a Belgian IPA. But, it does gain that signature crispness in the middle ground and eventually exits dry and bitter. The core flavor consists of a floral pine note which is quite savory, almost like the fresh hop flavor of a harvest ale. The other main note is a pepper infused citrus that takes the form of a lightly blackened orange rind. The hop profile is incredibly clean and pure. It has very big flavor yet remains easy drinking. The beer smooths significantly as it warms and gains a delightful buttery vibe, so definitely take your time to enjoy the session.

Jade IPA

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: S-05
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.067
Final Gravity: 1.017
IBU: 71
Boiling Time (Minutes): 90
Color: 8
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp):
Tasting Notes:

10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 76.92 %
2 lbs Pilsen Malt 15.4%
1 Lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 7.7%

*mash at 152 F

0.5 oz Citra Pellet at first wort
0.5 oz Jade Pellet 90 min
0.5 oz Jade pellet 20 min
0.5 oz Citra Pellet 20 min
0.25oz Citra Pellet 10 min
1 oz Citra Leaf end of boil
1oz Cascade Leaf end of boil

1 oz Jade Pellet, 1 oz Cascade Leaf, 1 oz Citra Leaf Dry hop

6.73% ABV

Made 3.23.13 actual OG 1.066 FG 1.011 ABV 7.2% Keg 4.9.13
Made 4.12.13 actual OG 1.072

How is this turning out in comparison to the real deal? Just had the Jade for the first time at the brewpub last night. Unbelievably good beer. Hands down the best North Carolina IPA that I've tasted.

Looking forward to hearing more about this recipe.

Sorry to bring this back up but I talked to one of the brewers the other day.

The malt is mostly pilsner with a little carmel for color. Hops are citra, cascade and chinook, with a combination of chinook and citra for dry hopping.

Also they use an in house english ale yeast that attenuates a little better than 001.

Hope this helps, wanna make it too!

Latest posts

Back