jacketed direct fired keggle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aangel

Reaction score
Hey all. I'm looking to insulate my direct fire keggles. I'm wondering what's out there since reflectix just melts. Is it possible to jacket the keggle with flashing?

Whats the reasoning behind insulating your keggles; are you brewing outside in the cold or is this strictly for a Mash tun?

Outside in the cold. I rent and thus 240V's unobtainable...for now. Ooh...I like that mineral wool + sheet metal idea.

Take a look at the "Pot skirt" link below in my signature. That should give you some ideas and your in luck it works best on a keggle. You do need the welding blanket to help keep the wind from stealing too much heat. There is a link to a scientific paper in that thread. The link crunches some numbers for comparison, its an interesting read at the very least.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Sadly it's a dead link but that's really interesting. I can't believe how vigorous your boil is in that video.

Cool. Hmmm. So ideal seems to be very thin barrier, half a centimeter, between the kettle wall and metal flashing, then an inch thick layer of rock wool, and finally a wrap in flashing. I can do that. The rocket stove design calculator didn't work for me sadly.

Back