Jacked Up!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AzOr

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Actually Jack fruited up—

I have 2lb of frozen jack fruit that I want to play with.

Does anyone here have experience fermenting jack? I’m thinking of making a medium gravity base mead and adding the fruit during active fermentation and seeing what happens. This would be for a 1 gallon batch.
Or should I just use a wine base of sucrose (and not waste honey)?

once completed I can make acid or tannin adjustments to taste.

ps- the 2lbs is only the fruit, no seeds.

I think I’ll use a honey base and get the gravity to about 1.090

I can’t find much info on net about a jack fruit mead, only wine. And not much tasting info either.

I’ll get to it later this week and post pics. The aroma from jack fruit is pure Juicy Fruit gum. I hope some of the aroma and flavor carry through fermentation.

If I were doing it, I would do the same - do a mead, maybe with a little lower OG (1.070 -1.075), hoping to preserve the delicate flavors.

Well I decided to make this mead. Partly to clear out my freezer.
The recipe is a very basic mead base w og of 1.095. I used some NZ clover honey that I had in cupboard that had crystallized.
I pitched QA23 yesterday and added the frozen thawed jack fruit this morning. I’m doing a basic sna. Nothing fancy, just a basic mead. I’m shooting for a lighter carbonated, dry mead.
I always overshoot my gravity a bit in case I need to top off carboy w spring water.
6C6AA5DE-8F9A-4240-96EF-F61F3348F12D.jpeg
6C6AA5DE-8F9A-4240-96EF-F61F3348F12D.jpeg
2D43C7C7-6F39-48F5-BF6E-771934CE581A.jpeg

I pulled the bag of jackfruit out, took a reading and sampled.
Gravity is at 1.00
The taste is obviously yeasty with a slight jackfruit taste and aroma.
This week I’ll transfer to a glass carboy.
With a touch of malic or citric acid and some backsweetening, I think the fruit flavor will pop a bit more.

Back