Jack Keller Frozen Strawberry Wine w/White Grape Juice vs. Concentrate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awilkes67

Reaction score
Greetings Experts! This post is borne out of the sad fact that maybe affecting many of us, that Welch's has discontinued their Frozen Concentrates. TLDR: Need help reformulating for juice.

I am here asking for some help in a recipe conversion. One of my favorite recipes is Jack Keller's Frozen Strawberry Wine (Link: https://winemaking.jackkeller.net/request162.asp) and it calls for one 11.5 oz can of Welch's White Grape Juice Concentrate. As I don't have any, I can not provide the Brix for it, but several other commercial concentrates are listed at 68%.

My question is, how do I modify this recipe to use 100% White Grape Juice as a substitute for the concentrate, and then adjust the water addition to have it come out equivalent for both sugar and taste? The data on my juice is: SG of 1.070 or 16.5 to 17.0% Brix at 64°F.

An adjustment to the base recipe would be awesome if someone could help me out. I can give a little more information below if it helps.

I typically scale this recipe up to 5 gallons. Therefore the need for concentrate is 5 cans or 57.5oz.

I tried this once and through many calculations I can't understand now, I substituted those 5 cans with 2 gallons of this juice and 1/2 gallon of water to complete the must. The OG was 1.036 and it fermented down to a finished wine that was wicked strong (20.74% ABV) when I wanted 15%. Still good wine, but tastes a little hot and harsh.

I'd like to be more scientific next time through and hence my ask for help. I suppose I could just wing it and cut back juice to 1.5 gal, but could sure use some expert help.

Your thoughts and analysis are much thanked in advance, and also for your patience with this loooong post. :)

PS reached out to the esteemed Mr. Keller already and he hasn't gotten back to me. We have spoken in the past, I hope he's ok. :)

After some thought, I realized I may have been overthinking this and the answer is much simpler. Any feedback would be appreciated.

- Recipe calls for one 11.5 oz can of concentrate (for 1 gallon) - 5 gallon recipe requires 5 cans.
- Dilution factor is 25% - 3 Parts Water to 1 Part Concentrate makes 48 ounces of juice.
- Assuming same %Brix in diluted concentrate juice as store bought juice, then juice requirement for 5 gallon batch is: 5 cans * (11.5 oz/ca) * 4x dilution = 230 oz juice.
- Therefore 5 gallon batch requires: 230 oz / 64 oz per bottle or 3-19/32 bottles.
- q.s. to 5 gallons total volume in final batch.

This seems to jive with the fact that my ABV was 20% vs 15%.

I think I am all set to go formulate!

Last edited:
Back