Jack Daniels grilling pellets?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bedlam

Reaction score
So, I was bumming around a store and ran up on these:

jd_pellets.jpg

For a coupla bucks, I thought what the hey and bought them. When I opened the bag, it sure enough does smell like oak and whiskey deliciousness. So, I was thinking about experimenting a little by throwing a few into a hop bag and tossing into the secondary with my mostly-finished Honey Porter.

Anybody used these? Got any ideas about amount/time? Thoughts in general?

They're grilling pellets? Not the wood chips, right? I use the jack woodchips all the time to oak my beers. But I don't think the pellets would work. If they are pelletized, and not cut out of the wood that is. If it is pelletized then it might dissolve to mush in either the whiskey you sanitize with, the steam you sanitize them with or in your beer....Think about how a hop pellet dissolves when wet...do you want wood mush in your beer?

I would take a glass of water, dump a handful in and come back in a week...if they are solid wood pieces like drilled out plugs, then go for it, if you have a bunch of wood paste on the bottom of the glass, then keep them for the smoker.

Revvy,
Why not just soak some wood chips in JD, why buy the grilling chips?

I use all my old oak spirials from wine making for either infusing a beer, or when I smoke pork butt. Yummie!

Our most popular flavor!

These are not the whiskey barrel wood chips

that you will find in retail stores.

Jack Daniel's Grilling Pellets are made with the

mellowing charcoal that Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey

slowly filters through to give it that famous flavor.

This is a STRONG, sweet smoke flavor with an aromatic tang.

Great for cooking Beef, Pork, Poultry and Game meats.

Ten uses per bag.

Revvy,
Why not just soak some wood chips in JD, why buy the grilling chips?

Because they already touched bourbon and fire for one thing, they are right from discarded barrells so there's a lot mor character than just some plain old oak. AND more importantly, at 7 bucks a bag you can oak a ton of beers with them, and I find it's ridiculus to pay extra for some "special" ingredient, from the LHBS when there's is something already out there. Been using it for years. You caneven give them more toast if you want.

Back