J. Zainasheff Irish Red ?? real high OG??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

profarm

Reaction score
I just got done brewing JZ's (Brewing Classic Styles) Irish red. The OG in the book is 1.054, I got 1.062 for 5.5gals in the fermenter. What happened?

11.25lbs 2row
6oz Crystal 40L
6oz Crystal 120L
6oz Rosted Barley 300L
1.25oz Kent goldings 60min

Mashed 153degs...Using 10gal round igloo and SS braid and batch sparge

Brewsmith puts the ABV at 6.27 (with 1.014 FG). Now my question is with this style being lower on the ABV scale, will this still taste like it should for this style?

Thanks!!:mug:

I think JZ aims for 6 gal into the fermenter, that with a bit more efficiency than he's getting would put you that high. As for the taste, its to high a SG for the style, but Im sure it will still be a great beer. Thats the great thing about this hobby, the worst that can happen is you make beer:mug:

I overshoot the OG on all his recipes, I usually reduce the grain bill by about 10% or so, I attribute it to high efficiency, his recipes are calculated for an assumed 70% efficiency, I get about 80-85% usually.

Back