J-B Weld or maybe Waterweld

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PlayMizuno

Reaction score
I have been reading about these for the last hour or so and I believe I have an answer but I want to ask the question in relation to an immersion chiller. Is it ok to use either of these on an immersion chiller? I am building a new chiller and there are areas that need "filling" and I don't think solder will do the job. If both of these are "OK", which would you use. I am at work so I can't post pictures, but I will try and get some up later tonight.

I'm not sure how well JB Weld would hold up under boiling temps. I wouldn't take the risk of a pinhole or bigger leak. It would be better to find an appropriate sized coupling and solder that instead.

JB Weld is fine and completely food safe.

However I am curious exactly what is wrong with your chiller than it needs either one to make it functional. That kind worries me because the design is pretty straightforward normally and there shouldn't be any chance of a leak.

Would any one worry about the expansion characteristics of JB Weld when it gets hot? Different expansion rates, compared to copper, would probably break the seal. This would be exagerated the larger the gap you are trying to fill.

Here are the "gaps" I am talking about. I am running my coils through some larger pipe to help make it sturdy and keep them evenly seperated.

chiller.jpg

If you aren't running water through those pipes then I don't know why they'd have to be filled. Make sure that there's a hole at the bottom fo the pipe to allow the wort to drain from and rock on.

Man that looks sweet, I thought about doing something like that with mine...but, laziness took over:mug: I agree; if there are holes in the bottom of your support pipes, I don't think the gaps need to be filled.

Solder will fill up to 1/16" -1/8" gap sometimes more. Flux the hell out of both mating surfaces. Make sure both surfaces are hot solder to mating matierls not iron, and your chances should be could. I use larger solder for filling and smaller for smaller gaps, but its all about the solders ability to stick to the mating materials. It needs abrasions and flux stripping. Good luck

Or you could use some 100% silicone food grade sealant? Should be easy to fill all those gaps.

Thanks for the responses. I believe I will just leave them as is. I post pictures after I get it completed.

Back