I've Seen Beer Heaven!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DtownRiot

Reaction score
Took a few days vaca. to Boston last week. While just roaming around one night on Harvard street I saw God's light shine upon a blessed establishment. The name is Sunset Bar and Grill. Let me say I don't think you will ever find a better place to try any beer on your wish list. To start, the prices are reasonable, and you can get the draught beer in a three foot cylinder that you can keep. Now the good stuff. 380 microbrews available in bottles, and a whopping 150 beers on tap that according to the bartender are switched out for new beers regularly. A must see if you're in that area!

Cheers
:fro:

Awesome! I just Googled it and it's not clear which one it is. Can you post what street, any additional info, so that I can drive 6 hours to go there? If I didn't have to work tomorrow, I'd be there tonight!

Yea i live in boston and the place is really cool. They have a beer menu that is bigger than their food menu. Lots of specialty and beers that I have never heard of. Its a good time if your out to try some new brews.

There is a place in DC that has over 1000 different beers. Holds the world record for most in the world..... not to burst your bubble or anything just wanted to be an ass! :ban:

I always get nervous when I see a place with more than 30 to 40 taps, first because I simply can't believe they're turning over every beer they have as quickly as they say (I'm going to bet the DFH 60 min gets a new keg every week, while the dopplebock has been sitting there since they opened). Also, I've noticed even in smaller places with inexperienced or uncaring bartenders, that beer lines can get switched around and not cleaned properly between beers. There's a brewpub around me (which will remain nameless) that has a rootbeer on tap right next to the other beers, and low and behold, sometimes the pale ale tastes like it was made with rootbeer.

A place that has 20 taps that rotate regularly seems more appealing to me than a place that has 100, 20 of which are moving and 80 that sit there and crust up in the lines.

Sorry to be a negative Nancy :p

Sorry to be a negative Nancy :p

Nothing negative about that when it comes to wanted tasty fresh beer on tap! I much prefer the constantly rotating (and always outstanding) modest tap selection at my favorite beer bar over the mega tap selection at another local that seems to have kegs sitting forever before they get drained and replaced.

We were just debating about Sunset the other day on another thread. I'm not trying to be a negative Nancy either :p but I can't stand that place. It has fourteen bajillion beers but not a lot of really high quality ones. They certainly go for quantity over quality and a "wow factor" and they have a horrible reputation for not having clean tap lines.

I'm a grumpy commercial beer snob so I'm probably being a little harder on it than I should be but if you think Sunset is beer heaven, next time you're in Boston, do yourself a favor and go to the Public House. It puts Sunset to shame.

Check out Beer Advocate's reviews of both Sunset and Public House and you'll probably see what I'm talking about.

Back