I've produced over 100 Gallons of Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayWeezie

Reaction score
That's right! Your welcome World.

I realized that tonight out drinking with some buddies. 100 gallons more of the sweet nectar has been produced and consumed because of my two hands.

Some of my handywork...

ForumRunner_20120211_022110.jpg

ForumRunner_20120211_022137.jpg

Not to pat myself on the back, but damn it that makes me happy!

At what point did you realize you were doing something good with your hobby?

When I did 20 gallons in a weekend!

Just remember that you have brewed 100 gallons between 5 houses, with 5 of your friends, with 5 different sets of equipment... ;)!

A two adult household can produce 200 gallons of beer per year, Gypsy ;)

But if he is by himself, that could cause a problem... especially since we aren't halfway through February :drunk:

100 gallons is a nice milestone. Personally I'd commemorate the number of batches, so you should be coming up on 25...another reason to celebrate!

How I see my own brewing career progressing:

25 batches--solid understanding of brewday basics (mashing, boiling, chilling, pitching), knowledge of several styles with incisive grasp of a few styles, basic knowledge of several types of malt and hops, basic understanding of recipe development, use and understanding of a few yeast strains, basic understanding of fermentation (making starters, understanding pitching rates, fermentation temperature control), ability to hit ballpark OG and FG

50 batches--advanced knowledge of brewday basics (multistep mashing, decocting, precise temperature control on mash), incisive knowledge of a handful of styles, independent/stylized approach to brewing, knowledge and understanding of all base malts and some specialty malts and several hops, ability to independently develop recipes in a few styles, general knowledge of yeast strains including selection of house strain(s), solid knowledge of fermentation (precise pitching rates, pitching rates by style, appropriate selection of strain, washing yeast, repitching slurry), ability to hit gravities within a few points on most occasions

100 batches--generally flawless brewdays with the very occasional small hiccup, incisive understanding of a large number of styles, knowledge/understanding of all malts and hops, completely independent development of recipes in a large number of styles, experience with most or all yeast strains, advanced knowledge of fermentation, ability to hit gravities on almost every batch

250 batches--always flawless brewdays, independent development of recipes in any style, ability to hit gravities precisely on every batch

The above schedule presumes a somewhat scholarly approach to brewing (i.e. trying to learn new things, broadening your horizons beyond a few styles, reading books on the subject) rather than grinding out batch after batch of the same brew for months on end. Brewers might have some of the abilities earlier or later depending on their specific interests--for example some people are really into hops, others into yeast, others into mashing so they will be ahead of the curve in those areas at an earlier stage in their brewing career.

100 batches--generally flawless brewdays with the very occasional small hiccup
You might be surprised how often production breweries have bad brewdays, including stuck/slow lauters, even though they have more batches in a week than you have in a year. Every homebrew I pull off in under 6 hours, heating water to equipment put away, I count as a blessing.

I just realized a few days ago that I surpassed 100 gallons since I started. Kinda disappointed me that I passed what I saw as something of a milestone, without realizing it. Oh well. Will keep better records and celebrate 250 perhaps.

Congrats on 300! :mug: I will be there soon enough. I plan go brew my limit this year. At least get damn close...

Back