I've never seen this before

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

telemarc

Reaction score
a=97679131_97679131

This is an AHS Creamy Smoked Amber that was in primary for 10 days and secondary for 22 days. I checked on it today and this is what I saw. It looked healthy going into the carboy, and tasted normal. While in the secondary, I kept it at 63-66 degrees for 18 days, and it's been at 56-60 degrees for 3 days. Any idea as to what this is? My next step is to smell/taste it.

Oh wait......You're beer's fine :D

Really? I believe you. I'm color blind, so I couldn't tell what color that layer on top was. Is it yeast maybe? I think I'll bottle this up on Turkey Day so we can drink it by Christmas. Thanks, Revvy!

Really? I believe you. I'm color blind, so I couldn't tell what color that layer on top was. Is it yeast maybe? I think I'll bottle this up on Turkey Day so we can drink it by Christmas. Thanks, Revvy!

Hey..wait...there's no picture....I don't know...I was kidding...Show me a picture.

Are you playing with me? There's a link to the photo at the top of the post.

This is hilarious....:D

But I have to say, telemarc, that there is nothing to be seen. You didn't post a picture or a link. If you 'go advanced' in your post, there's a little icon with the world and a couple links of chain. Click on that and insert the address where the photo is - - probably best to cut and paste the address.

Ha Ha, I'm the retard here. Everybody laugh at Marc!!! I was trying to insert the image using the icon that looks like a photo and says "insert image". SO, here I go again, just in case everyone stopped cracking up...

http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo52/telemarc67/DSC01319.jpg

I hope this works, otherwise I fear that I'll have to cancel my account and create a new account under an alias!

Good God, thanks for putting an end to this! What can I say...I'm low tech. I may not be able to create a link, but I can keep a chain saw running and I can tele ski with the best of them!

There is a lot of beer in that carboy!!!!

Yeah...

It's kinda hard to tell what it is, to me it's always difficult to tell anything about a beer in a carboy, glass refraction and stuff.

Did you dry hop this in secondary?

It looks like EITHER, you have a bunch of hopscum crammed into the little space at the top of the carboy, you got a new fermentation going and that's new krausen, OR else Linda Blair just hurled pea soup green vomit into your carboy...I guess if you did the sniff test you'd be able to rule out #3...but if it is demon possesd vomit, you might be topping of the carboy on your own. :D

(I'm hoping this makes it onto someone's sig...I'm quite proud of it.)

Yeah...

It looks like EITHER, you have a bunch of hopscum crammed into the little space at the top of the carboy, you got a new fermentation going and that's new krausen, OR else Linda Blair just hurled pea soup green vomit into your carboy...I guess if you did the sniff test you'd be able to rule out #3...but if it is demon possesd vomit, you might be topping of the carboy on your own. :D

LMAO :tank:

I didn't dry hop, and Linda hasn't been over to my place in a while. This beer looked fine in the carboy for 12 days or so at 65 degrees. It's been at 58-60 degrees for 2 days, now I have this vomit on top. My OG was 1.055 and my FG was 1.014 which is spot-on. I think I'll rack from beneath it and bottle.

Yeah...

It's kinda hard to tell what it is, to me it's always difficult to tell anything about a beer in a carboy, glass refraction and stuff.

Did you dry hop this in secondary?

Great job Revvy, consider it done! :mug:

Thanks for all the replies and jokes and all, but I got no info here except for someone thinking it was demon puke. I guess I'd better do my homework next time.:mad:

Thanks for all the replies and jokes and all, but I got no info here except for someone thinking it was demon puke. I guess I'd better do my homework next time.:mad:

Hey, sorry telemarc. I have never seen anything like that before, definitely not that color and consistency so I do not have any valuable info to give you.
Many here joke and poke at one another whenever there is any available opportunity. Sorry it seemed to be at the expense of your thread. However, on the lighter side, at least is has kept your thread alive and well and give it more exposure than it might have had otherwise.

and you're not going to get any info. yeasts are crazy, every beer is different, and rarely can ANYONE tell you exactly what the problem is based on a picture.

TASTE IT. IF IT'S GOOD, KEG/BOTTLE.

:mug:

Sorry for the attitude, everyone. I've had the sh*ttiest day of all time. When I started racking my beer into the bottling bucket, I noticed a growing pool of beer on the floor. Turned out that when I washed my spigot, the rubber gasket fell off in the sink. So I lost about 24oz of beer. I had to pour about a gallon or beer out of the bottling bucket into a clean primary and rack the rest onto that. Hopefully I didn't expose it to too much air in the process. I f*cking HATE bottling!! Anyways, I'm RDWHAHB right now, and all is right in the world once again.

Latest posts

Back