I've lost the urge....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheesecake

Reaction score
This sucks ive completely lost the urge to brew.....why i love brewing i love drinking the beer i brew but i just cant stand getting everything out and cleaning up....I dont know. i was thinking of selling out but who knows.

This sucks ive completely lost the urge to brew......
And at only 321 posts. :D

Seriously, this hobby isn’t for everyone and the cleaning and other labor intense parts of it weeds out those without a true passion. Nothing to be concerned about, but I’d hang onto your equipment for the times when you get the urge brew. In the mean time, enjoy all the crafts you can find or better yet, find a friend who brews and likes to share.

Dang, I'd LOVE to be able to brew more often! I know it's a major PITA sometimes, and thusly why I don't get to do it more. I just have too many other things that need my attention.

Here is a suggestion: Find a competition. Brew a recipe for that competition.

I think a competition is a great thing because you feel like there is another whole dimension to the brew. 1, you get the beer, just like always. But 2, you get some feedback, and some anticipation of the results. It can add to your understanding and help you want to improve.

But if you really are tired of brewing, I just want to say... DIBS!

Dang, I'd LOVE to be able to brew more often! I know it's a major PITA sometimes, and thusly why I don't get to do it more. I just have too many other things that need my attention.

Here is a suggestion: Find a competition. Brew a recipe for that competition.

I think a competition is a great thing because you feel like there is another whole dimension to the brew. 1, you get the beer, just like always. But 2, you get some feedback, and some anticipation of the results. It can add to your understanding and help you want to improve.

But if you really are tired of brewing, I just want to say... DIBS!

i want second pickings. :D

to the op, homebrewing is a wax and wan love affair, give it three months and see how you feel then. right now i can't brew enough, but i know exactly how you feel.

For me, I just try to get in the zone.

Instead of rushing to get the equipment prepped & cleaned afterwards, I try to get into a zen frame of mind. I drink a beer while doing it, put on some appropriate music (like oktoberfest or tavern music), and take my time in the process. Instead of looking at the prep & cleanup as an obstacle, I kind of try to go with the flow methodically, thoroughly doing the job. It is kind of therapeutic. I think of it as a process, instead of as a task to be accomplished.

Just a standard technique I use for other tasks, too. Hope that makes sense. :mug:

Maybe think about changing your process slightly to make it easier. Brewing to me was starting to be a stressful chore. I was doing two separate 5 gallons at a time, running full pots of wort to the bathroom for cooling, having to go to the store for ice. I felt like I was going too fast to enjoy it and then all the cleaning was just a chore. I was stressed and letting stuff overflow making cleanup even worse. I've found a way I can cool in the sink, have the perfect amount of ice ready, and just brew 5 gallons at a time.

May take longer and get less beer but its a hell of a lot less stressful. I think at a point we just try to optimize our routine to make it as fast as it can be, when really it needs to be slowed down so its not a chore and its enjoyable. Rethinking my setup lets me enjoy the cooling cause I'm not stuck hunched over the bathtub for an hour plus (man that hurts my back). I can stand in the the kitchen and have a conversation, even start dinner if I need to.

Also consolidated all my stuff for brewday into one or two bins helped immensly too. Cut down running back and forth to my brew closet bringing out one of two pieces of equipment at a time.

Either way, keep your equipment for 6 months or so to make sure you don't get the bug to brew again. If only a batch or two a year.

I really hate the cleanup too, but I think you're just in a slump. I've been brewing for most of a decade and there have been stretches of 5-6 months when I haven't bothered to brew. It comes back. Reduced time and effort are two of the reasons I still do extract and PM some of the time. I can knock off an extract batch in 3 hours and only have one pot to clean.

Try something new, something you haven't brewed yet, or a new technique. I was running a little slump a while ago, so I tried doing a decoction mash for the first time.

Reduced time and effort are two of the reasons I still do extract and PM some of the time. I can knock off an extract batch in 3 hours and only have one pot to clean.

I'm finding this is really a key. I've done three all grain batches now and swore I'd limit my five gallon batches to all grain from now on and just do some small extract batches in my Mr. Beer fermenter, but am finding doing this leads to less brewing. I've decided to be a little less strict and have decided if a good quick extract batch is what it takes to keep the pipeline full, so be it! :mug:

I don't know many brewers that enjoy clean up. Even the commercial brewers that I have known over the years can usually think of hundreds of things they would rather do.

For me, building my brewery is as much fun as brewing. One of my future projects is building a CIP system for my brewhouse. I don't like cleaning anymore than the next guy, but if I can use a CIP system that I built, the chore will be overshadowed by the novelty.

I recommend trying a DIY project.

cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssszzzsssseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Im inclined to go with the "find a new dimesion" idea, find,learn,read,DIY, something new, but at the very least hold on to you equipment a year before you sell out.

The 4 seasons have a big effect, on your mood to brew.

This sucks ive completely lost the urge to brew.....why i love brewing i love drinking the beer i brew but i just cant stand getting everything out and cleaning up....I dont know. i was thinking of selling out but who knows.

Try another brewing style, if you are all grain try falling back to extract brewing for a few batches.

If you are Extract move up to PM or AG. Monotony is the killer of many a homebrewer !

I have great time creating recipes and modifying ones I find on here, I have several recipes that can go grain to glass quickly, but my big kick lately has been the calander brews, like making an Oktoberfest lager in march so it is ready for sept. I am brewing up a halloween beer tonight, it is a simple ESB with a half lb of fresh toasted pumpkin seeds in the mash, and I will be spicing it up at kegging with a couple cinnamon sticks maybe a clove or two. I have my Christmas stout aging away too.

i hit the same slump. i shifted back to partial mash for a few brews, and now i'm ready to start setting up a herms this weekend :D

I am out of home brew ive been out for about 3 months. ive done some extract batches for my uncle but i dont get enjoyment out of it. it feels like work. Ill figure something out. i have no room for new projects and im limited to my apartment for brewing so that means everything has to be cleaned up when done. maybe ill do some more extract batches and see how that works out. the keezer is empty and the grain i have pre crushed as been on the shelf for 3 months.

I feel the same way about cleanup; just walk through your clean-up process and write down the steps. Then identify any parts of the process that you could consolidate, difficult to clean equipment and how to modify it for easier cleaning, clean-up that could be done during the boil/mash etc.

No reason to feel bad about taking a few months off and come back to it whenever you get the urge. I've thrown away equipment for other hobbies of mine and have come back to them a year or two later wishing I had kept all my stuff. So definitely don't throw away your equipment; it could co$t you in the future.

. . . i dont get enjoyment out of it. it feels like work.
The fantasy dream of a lot of homebrewers is to go pro. Even people who drink our beer say, “You should sell this stuff.” Your quote above is what should keep most of us from making that move. It’s nice to have the option to let our gear sit for a month, a year, what ever it takes to ease the pressure and bring the desire back. If it’s not fun, it’s not a hobby.

I’ll be doing something completely removed from brewing and some “got to try that” idea will pop into my head. It might be an equipment mod, or tweaking the recipe, or maybe a new technique, but after over 125 batches, I’ve never brewed the same twice. This is probably my biggest motivator.

It's said the men think of sex every seven seconds. I may be up to ten. Brewing has taken over some of my quality brain time.

You're lazy!! Put on your big girl panties and get out there and brew you *****!! :D

My brew days start at 7AM, move water, heat to temp, crush grains, mash in, step mash, sparge, boil, chill, transfer to FV and pitch, clean mash tun, boil kettle, empty and clean heat exchanger and HLT, move everything back into storage, check FV and PLC, 9 friggin' hours....and I'd do it every day if I had the fermentation space!!

Ive been going to binnys and trying beers ive never had before....when i want to drink but as of lately ive been working too much.

and a update

IM BREWING NOW

Yup i was supposed to go to road america today but my puppy got sick last night so i had to take him to the 24 hour hospital to find out he has a bladder infection. so i cant leave him home alone for 8 hours so i stayed home and since i have nothing planned i figured i would brew. So far so good. im brewing a extract batch and a all grain batch. We will see how this goes. :mug::mug::mug::mug::mug::mug:

Ive been going to binnys and trying beers ive never had before....when i want to drink but as of lately ive been working too much.

and a update

IM BREWING NOW

Yup i was supposed to go to road america today but my puppy got sick last night so i had to take him to the 24 hour hospital to find out he has a bladder infection. so i cant leave him home alone for 8 hours so i stayed home and since i have nothing planned i figured i would brew. So far so good. im brewing a extract batch and a all grain batch. We will see how this goes. :mug::mug::mug::mug::mug::mug:

ATTABOY! get back on that horse!

I want to brew but I just have so many things to take care of around the house. And I have an infection issue that won't go away so it has me distraught about my brew as well, so that takes urge away.

Yeah..... i think i just need to plan better. so far today is going pretty smooth. im going to join a beer kit of the month club so i can do 1 extract batch a month. that way i keep brewing

Im doing the AHS fat tire amber ale clone....and a extract amber ale i threw together for my uncle since he is out of beer too. it is 3lbs amber dme 3lbs light dme half pind 120l 1 oz centennial 2oz cascade....i hope it tastes good but i bet he wont care...LOL

Im doing the AHS fat tire amber ale clone....and a extract amber ale i threw together for my uncle since he is out of beer too. it is 3lbs amber dme 3lbs light dme half pind 120l 1 oz centennial 2oz cascade....i hope it tastes good but i bet he wont care...LOL

WOOT!! :rockin:

Glad to see you didn't give up.

As the others have said, I don't know ANYONE who "likes" the clean up

With the last batch I brewed, it took way longer than I expected and by the time I was pitching the yeast my (healing a fractured) ankle was in serious "cankle" mode so I had to take a break.

I more or less did a triage cleanup (rinsed pots brew kettles and filled with hot water and soap, rinsed hydrometer & thermometer, etc) and wiped the counters and floor. Did the "real" cleanup the next morning.

Loud music and coffee helps with the motivation.

If you really hate the cleanup that much you could do some more simple things.

no-chill instead of whatever cooler you're doing and BIAB instead of using a mashtun.

Back