I've got 8 oz of hops to use....help me build a good brew with them !!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CorporateHippie

Reaction score
I'm cleaning out the freezer and I have 8 oz. of hops left to use up. I want to make a Cascadian Dark Ale (black IPA) and want to use all of these hops. I haven't ever mixed this many hop variety's without a recipe so I would like some help. I don't have the grain bill figured out yet but what would you do for the hop additions, INCLUDING dry hopping with all 8 oz and ONLY these 8 oz of hops?? Just for reference, some of my favorite IPAs are: Bitter Woman, Lagunitas IPA, Bells Two Hearted, Oso Hoppdinger, Central Waters Hop Rise, Southern Tier 2x IPA, NB Ranger... Here is the hop list:

3 oz SIMCOE 12.75%
2 oz CASCADE 6.4%
1 oz GOLDINGS 6.5%
1 oz FUGGLE 5.0%
1 oz WILLAMETTE 4.7%

The problem I see is your bittering hops will be simcoe. I don't know about your area but simcoe is more expensive here and I'd hate to waste it in a beer that I couldn't taste it.

If I were to do it I'd bitter with 1-2 oz simcoe and use an oz of cascade at 15 and one oz cascade at 0. Haven't used the other hops in anything other than stouts so I can't really comment. Probably use the Willamette and fuggles at the end of the boil too.

The problem I see is your bittering hops will be simcoe. I don't know about your area but simcoe is more expensive here and I'd hate to waste it in a beer that I couldn't taste it.

I enjoy Simcoe when it is mixed (i.e. Like NB ranger) but by itself I do not enjoy it so much. Although the only experience I have had with an ONLY Simcoe beer is WeyerBacher Double Simcoe....it was not enjoyable.

Looks like two beers. Sure you could just throw them all in but I'd do two beers. One English (stout or porter) with Goldings and Fuggles. The other is an American IPA, with 1oz Simcoe then the rest of the hops on the last 15 minutes.

Aw dude don't bitter with simcoe they too sweet and tasty and expensive.

i second the 2 beer idea

I listened to your advice and did not use my Simcoe to bitter with. So here is what I ended with. A Rye-P-A (more like pumpernickel) with 2-row, Rye, and Wheat (I know crazy grain bill). I bought a pack of Warrior to bitter with (never used before). My hop additions were as follows:

1oz Warrior Pellet Hops AAU 14.5% @ 60
1oz Cascade Leaf Hops AAU 7.7% @ 20
1oz Simcoe Pellet Hops AAU 12.75% @ 15
1oz Cascade Leaf Hops AAU 7.7% @ 2

White Labs California Ale WLP001

1oz Cascade Pellet Hops AAU 6.4% @ Dry Hopped
1oz Willamette AAU 5.7% @ Dry Hopped

As of now it is cold crashing and my last gravity reading tasted super good. Bitter with lots of earthy spice and a bit of ganga smell...left a lingering bitterness. Can't wait till it is carbed up and ready to go. I plan to bottle this week.

Back