I've gone off my rocker: Garden Brew Brainstorm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirtyoldguy366

Reaction score
While drinking a Samuel Smith Organic Lager, I was strongly reminded of a fresh garden salad. It made me think of bitter/spicy greens, turnips, carrots, sweet peas, bell peppers, and had a fresh crispness and strong earthy tones. This got me thinking about expanding on the flavors I sensed and making a beer themed around these flavors and possibly incorporating a few of them as actual ingredients.

Options I've thought of:

Sweet peas, beans, or other starchy, slightly sweet vegetable in the mash.

Use some corn in the mash.

Steep some dried bell peppers, yellow squash, turnips, carrots, peas, beans, combination of the above, etc. in water and add the resulting liquid/vegetable soup post fermentation. (I've got access to a bunch of these from my mom's garden... dehydrated garden veggies can be made into a hell of a soup with a little bullion, some instant barley, and boiling water!)

Add fresh bell peppers,turnips, carrots, sweet peas, etc. similar to a fruit addition.

Maybe do it as a saison, as i've heard this is a summery beer and it has some residual sweetness and fruity character.... (as well as fitting the summertime theme, and time it would be brewed if fresh ingredients were used)

Or do it as a lager or light ale (keep the vegetable flavors subdued) with noble hops for earthiness??

Or go nuts and make a barleywine that tries to be a long simmered vegetable stew with flavors of cooked carrot, oats, peas, celery? maybe even super faint garlic???

Just thinking out loud as usual here... Have I gone completely crazy? I think I may have.... Discuss.

Yea garlic's probably a bad idea.... what about celery? Its got a nice aromatic component.

Coriander?

Black pepper?

Back