I've done Belgians I like. Need ideas for my next recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agurkas

Reaction score
I started with a Baltic Porter, did Saison (still gettin' there with flavor), Honey Ale (was a hit), simple Hefeweizen, and now there is a crazy Tripel already at 15%ABV sittin' in secondary (it gave me real hard time).
I have another crazy beer planned - 11%ABV 100IBU IPA.

Yes, I love big beers.

All of these puppies were yeast-centric beers. I want to learn something else, so I need suggestions. I definitely like the "holy $hit this is some flavorful stuff"! Corona and Heineken type of watery stuff does not work.

PS. I don't have the refrigeration for the lagers.

Belgian Black IPA. Like Flying Dog's Bashah. Its a Simply amazing Black BIPA. Almost like a cascadian dark ale without the roasty flavor

Take a look at this recipe...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/advice-request-first-all-grain-220572/

It's a Wit hop bomb... i could have drunk it straight out of the primary, flat and warm (well... i had a pint left over after bottling so i did just that!). Tried a bottle last night to check on the carb (been carbing for 7 days) and it just keeps on getting better and better. It's ready to drink as is... can't wait to see what 2 weeks in the fridge will do to it!

So if you like Belgian and something a little different then give it a go.

FYI, mine was a 23oC primary for 10 days followed by a 12oC condition in the loft for 10 days.

Check out what won in local competitions in that style category.
I recently judged a Belgian Strong category and there were a lot of good entrants.
Perhaps you can get insight either from the recipe or the specifics from winners.

You could try an old ale with some Brett for something different. Adding the treacle to the boil really ups the complexity. Or do a Belgian with some dark Belgian candy syrup. That'll add some complexity to a big beer. Or try something nuts like putting dandelion greens in. The beauty of homebrewing is that the sky's the limit!

Back