I've been a very bad boy...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freelancer

Reaction score
...but screw it. My first brew is beautiful.

So yeah. I was introduced to the brewing 'scene' by my mother on my 25th birthday (nov 23) , she got me an EDME Dry Irish Stout kit (tin of extract, packet of yeast). We went out the next day to get the rest of the whatnots I'd need, and settled on a Young's "U-Brew" Beer Buddy Bitter kit (bucket, hydro, siphon tube, sanitiser, can of magic treacle + yeast). Only £20 from Wilkinson's for all you UK brewers, I know you're there!

Anyway. Nov. 27th I decided to get cracking, followed the instructions (for what they're worth) and everything went swimmingly. starting hydro was 1.042, and after my daily hydro readings stopped changing for 3 days - 1.010 on Dec. 3/4/5th - I grabbed my siphon tube and managed to nicely fill 7x 2litre coke bottles. I stood them in a spare bowl and covered the lot with a bag incase any decided to blow up (which they didn't, yay!) and today i just couldn't wait any longer. Was hoping to leave them til xmas (3 week bottled) but i just had to try one.

I'm now halfway through my second pint and holy moley this is a good beer. Even after only 8 days fermenting (was expecting longer really, but hey, i'm not going to argue!), and 7 in the bottle. If this is how 'green' beer tastes then i'm not complaining, I'll never buy another can of Guinness/Murphy's after this!

I can't wait for xmas now, to find out how it's supposed to taste!

OK, first of all, taste a bottle a week for three weeks, your be much happier / "hoppier" in the long run when you have great beer properly conditioned, aged and blowing you away.

Second, your Mom got you into this? Is she single now? :)
A truly wonderful woman without a doubt.

So what are you brewing now? You must keep that pipeline full, and don't forget to share some with your Mom.

Back