I've Been A Bit Of A Stranger Lately

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsmith

Home brewing moogerfooger
Reaction score
It's been about a year since I've posted regularly to the board, and with some good reason. Some of the old timers around here may remember that about a year and a half ago I quit my full-time job so that I could do my student teaching to pursue a career teaching music. Over that time money has been tight, and I've been super busy. I got my teaching credential last year, and managed to scrape by this last school year doing some long-term substitute teaching. After school got out in June employment was practically nonexistent, with the only thing paying some of the bills being my part-time job doing music at my church, and teaching private lessons. I haven't stopped brewing, but production has slowed, mostly because of finances.

I was just offered a position today teaching high school band full-time in a local school district. It's not the greatest district or school, but in a time of few teaching jobs available, especially music jobs, I'm not hesitating on taking it, especially since I've seen some of the same people over and over applying for the same teaching jobs as me, all of whom have been qualified. It is a great opportunity for me as a career, and a place where I can build a music program from the ground up.

I hope to be a more regular contributor to the forum in the future now that things are getting back on track, and I hope the brewing output grows as well.

If anyone is wondering what I'm drinking to celebrate, I'm about to crack open a bottle of Russian River Damnation. :mug:

I wish I was that close to RR. You're closer than me. I'm looking at about 8 hours one way coming from the LA area.

Anyway, it is good to be back and employed. :D

Damn, we are looking for a new Band Director here. The young guy we got last year got an offer out of the blue from the place he student taught and it's very close to his home, so he and his new wife are moving back there. It sucks he's leaving, since he likes craft beer and they are both very nice people. Having a HOMEBREWER as a replacement would ROCK!

It's good to be back and fully employed. I don't think I'm taking a job in Michigan anytime soon, though ;). It'll be about a month before the first paycheck rolls in, but I'll be able to make it through till then. Now I just need a weekend free to get a couple brews going. I've got a carboy with a pale in it ready to be kegged and a nice yeast cake ready to be split between a brown ale and an IPA. And somewhere in there I need to harvest my hops.

It's good to be back and fully employed. I don't think I'm taking a job in Michigan anytime soon, though ;). It'll be about a month before the first paycheck rolls in, but I'll be able to make it through till then. Now I just need a weekend free to get a couple brews going. I've got a carboy with a pale in it ready to be kegged and a nice yeast cake ready to be split between a brown ale and an IPA. And somewhere in there I need to harvest my hops.

Ha ha, yeah, Michigan really sucks. Every day I dream of leaving, but then it snows and I can't get out of my driveway. ;)

congrats on the job! my mom, brother, and sister in law are all teachers. the teaching job market is pretty lean right now.

Congrats on the new job! Welcome back. My sister-in-law has a masters in music and working toward her Phd. She is having difficulty finding anything in the metro Philly area more than a part time music teaching position at a parochial school.

Back