It's time to Dry Hop my DIPA. I have some options...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamjackson

Reaction score
The recipe had these hop additions:

• Centennial Hop Pellets (1 oz)
  • Willamette Hop Pellets (1 oz)
  • Amarillo Hop Pellets (1 oz)
  • Cascade Hop Pellets (2 oz)

I want to dry hop this beer so I picked up some random 1 ounce pellets and stuck them in the freezer. We are on day 9 of fermentation so I'm going to move the beer to a 2nd carboy and add 2 ounces of dry hops:

My Choices:
  • Amarillo Hop Pellets (1 oz)
  • Centennial Hop Pellets (1 oz)
  • Citra Hop Pellets (1 oz)

Which 2 should I go with or should I just do 1? Or all 3?

I'm leaving tomorrow for Belgium and returning on the 4th so that'll be a full 2 weeks in 2nd fermentation. I'm going to keg it on the 5th of June.

Sound good?

I'd do the amarillo and the citra. both nice and citrusy. save the cent for flavouring or bittering on another batch.

I agree but before you rack be sure to take two gravity readings over 3 days to ensure no change and that fermentation has completed first. If you need to leave before you can do that than just leave the beer in the primary until you return and then rack.

Better to be patient and proper good brewing technique than to rush through this just to dry hop, just my .02...........

I agree but before you rack be sure to take two gravity readings over 3 days to ensure no change and that fermentation has completed first. If you need to leave before you can do that than just leave the beer in the primary until you return and then rack.

Better to be patient and proper good brewing technique than to rush through this just to dry hop, just my .02...........

Noted. Yeah, I did some research after this and read that "lazy people" can add the hop pellets in the primary fermentation with very little issue if they lack a 2nd carboy or don't feel like siphoning to a 2nd fermenter.

With that + the fact that I'm not completely share fermentation is done, I added the hops this morning to the primary. Since I'm leaving today for 2 weeks, I have no choice really so good advice. Thanks for clarifying what I was hoping was fine to do.

All three can be described as citrusy. However I am most familiar with Centennial, which is definitely described as Grapefruit. I've had Citra in an IPA before and loved it. So Amarillo and Citra might make a nice combination.

Really all three would probably go well together.

I dryhop for 3-7 days before packaging as that's my preference for the amount of hops aroma and flavor.

I'd use amarillo/centennial just because I like the floral-ish citrus from the centennial and the grapefruit from the amarillo, and not so much the tropical fruit (mango) from citra. If you had more willamette, I'd suggest that as it's got an "earthy" feel to it missing in the others.

You can't go wrong with any of those hops. You want at least 2 oz of hop pellets for a dry hop on an IPA or DIPA. Sounds tasty!

I agree with the Amarillo/Centennial mix. I've found that they compliment each other nicely, and for me personally, Amarillo is my favorite hop variety for IPA's. It's amazing.

Latest posts

Back