It's National Grammar Day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shecky

Just an old guy
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Otherwise known as a day of supplication for me.:D

Shall we all lie in the sun while watching chickens lay eggs as we ponder the grammatical nightmares that are Bob Dylan's "Lay Lady Lay" and Eric Clapton's "Lay Down Sally?"

Is anybody else a grammar freak? I know flyangler is in my camp. Who else?

Past participles, people! I know several people (and an entire geographical region) that use the phrases "would have went" or "should have came" and it makes me want to scream. Srsly. WRONG TENSE.

I can't stand it when you say "thank you" to someone and they reply "no problem." Did I ever say there was a problem in the first place? Its "your welcome!!"

I can't stand it when you say "thank you" to someone and they reply "no problem." Did I ever say there was a problem in the first place? Its "your welcome!!"

They mean it was no problem for them to help you. It's just a shorter version.

"You're welcome" is short for "you are welcome to my aid"

You're just picky. ;)

I hate when I say "thank you" and people reply, "Yup."

I don't recall having asked you a question. What's so hard about, "You're welcome?"

On a side note, today my 6 yo told me a girl picked up food off the floor and ate it. My daughter said, "She should have thrown it away."

I was so proud.:D

Im invoking Godwins law. (and purposefully not using any apostophes.)

GrammarNazi.jpg

grammar-nazi.jpg

grammar_nazi.jpg

266485575-GrammarNazi.jpg

I despise receiving memos over email from people in a position of authority in our organization that contain more grammar mistakes than the graffiti on the stall doors in the bathroom.

Clippy wants to help, people! Let him HELP!

:D

That wall needs painted
Where all does it hurt?
Pass me a scissors
A hundred thirty (Probably correct American, I still don't like it though)
Oriented (maybe correct American too, still don't like it!)

A hundred thirty is correct. Actually you should never say "and" in a number unless there is a decimal point. I suck at grammar but I know that from math!

And whats the problem with oriented?

A hundred thirty is correct. Actually you should never say "and" in a number unless there is a decimal point. I suck at grammar but I know that from math!

And whats the problem with oriented?

OK, One thousand and one hundred thirty ;) ("And" replaces the comma? No need for a comma then!)

Oriented means orientated. Thus, when you get lost, you need to orient yourself?

I are gooder at grammaticallin then you'ens. I speek english more better now. I usta could tear up a sentance something fierce. Least ways, nobody points and laughs anymore when I dangle my participle.

My current grammar pet peeve is subject vs. object pronouns. When I was growing up, everybody seemed to use "me" when "I" was correct. Apparently, many people were corrected, but not taught why. Now I always hear people using "I" when "me" is correct. They're still wrong, just in a different way and they still don't have a clue.

Then: Alice and me are going to the store with Bob.

Now: Bob is going to the store with Alice and I.

I am going to the store. Some ***** named Alice is going to tag along with some **** named Bob sniffing her skirt. Pervert.

Shecky, what are your thoughts on split infinitives? My opinion of you as an ace gramarian hinges on your answer.
Oh, the pressure. I'm not that uptight about split infinitives, to be perfectly honest.;)

You should celebrate by getting off your *** and brewing!
Hey, I've brewed three times already this year, twice in five days. Bugger off, as Gnome might say.

I don't know about Shecky but I blame the French.
Grrrrrrr.:mad::D

In honor of National Grammar Day, talk like Yoda, I will!

Pleased with my posts, you will be!

Well, call me a dumb American but I go with oriented. Orientated just sounds silly, though I know it is mainly the British usage.
So, either one. How's that for diplomacy?

Diplomacy? If you thought you were right you would have told me that I was wrong. It sounds like an admission of failure on your part to me, because you know in your heart that "Oriented" is just plain wrong....... Screw diplomacy! ;)

"It's National Grammar Day"

Technically speaking, contractions aren't necessary in written English. Using the full version of a word is always grammatically correct. :p

I'm jus' sayin'.

I remember always getting chewed on for using contractions in college. I guess my proffessor did not like the use of them.

she tot me well! ;)

"It's National Grammar Day"

Technically speaking, contractions aren't necessary in written English. Using the full version of a word is always grammatically correct. :p

I'm jus' sayin'.

I remember always getting chewed on for using contractions in college. I guess my proffessor did not like the use of them.

she tot me well! ;)
Really? I've never heard of such a thing.

Back