It's my first time....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThatGeekGuy

Reaction score
Mainly a homebrewer, though I have a two month old batch of Apfelwine in a fermenter I'll be bottling soon.

The local homebrew club I recently joined has a yearly Meading in January that I'm participating in. We've bought honey in bulk, and we're all going to make batches of mead at the meeting.

I'm looking for something simple to make, but not just a straight mead. Fruit or spice, or both would be nice.

I've got an extra fermentation bucket and airlock, will have honey, what else do I need for mead?

For a good meat all you need is good honey nutrient and energizer. Water and time lol

There are a million things you can do with mead in the flavor deparent. So it is hard to give you a simple "try this" answer without knowing your preferences.

It will be good to have DAP. The white crystal looking yeast nutrient. And yeast energizer. The tan powder like yeast nutrient.

I use 1tsp per gallon DAP and usually 1/2 tsp yeast energizer but I split the energizer to be added over a 3-4 day period.

Being a brewer mainly you could do a simple bragott made in the mead style.

Look through the posts and recipe section for bragotts. I have a couple that turned out great. If you are interested ask and I can give better examples on how I did mine.

You're going to need a plan on what you would like to make.

Do you want to make something sweet or dry? Do you want a high or low ABV? Do you want a quick fermentation/aging process or do you want your mead to take its time?

Figure out what you want out of your mead and then take a look at the recipe section and you'll see plenty of options to choose from.

Back