Its judgement time!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanuckBrewing

Reaction score
So ive had a couple of problems in the past switching over to all grain brewing, so i thought id give it a shot and post here of what im thinkin as a recipe and have people critique it. If you have any constructive advice, that would be much appreciated.

5 Gallons All-Grain

Grain
8.5 lb 2-row
0.75 lb crystal 10°L
0.75 lb carapils/dextrine

Hops
1 oz Kent Golding (60 minutes)
½ oz Fuggles (60 minutes)
½ oz Fuggles (45 minutes)
1 oz Saaz (5 minutes)

1 whirlfloc tablet (15 minutes)

Yeast
White Labs - East Coast Ale

Mash using single step infusion
Mash @ 154°F for 1 hour or until it passes the iodine test.

Interesting mix of hops there. Is that because that's what you've got on hand? You appear to be making a nice quaffable blonde ale and it will turn out fine, but I'm trying to understand what you're after with those hops.

i found this recipe online as a clone for a sam adams ale clone. So i thought i would give it a try, with a change to the grain bill. The hops werent my decision, but why are you questioning them? Just curious :)

East Kent Goldings and Fuggles are English hops commonly associated with ales. Saaz is Czechoslovakian commonly associated with Pilsners and Lagers. That's not to say you can't mix and match each of them if you want, but there won't be a style that calls for that combination.

That being said, your Goldings and most of your Fuggles are early additions so you're getting mostly bittering from them. Your flavor is almost all Saaz. If that's what the beer calls for, then go for it. It will turn out fine.

Back