Its been a while...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkewedBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys, haven't posted in a while so I thought I'd ask some more annoying questions for the sake of discussion, that and its a lot quieter here since SWMBO and I broke up.

My parents are pretty surprised at how well some of my brews can turn out. (I'm going with a stroke of luck, but who cares?) My little brother is graduating from High School and its a pretty big deal because he's the youngest (however the largest) of three brothers. I have been commissioned to brew a batch for the party which is in June and I am formulating the Recipe. Since my dad loves any beer that's not swill and my mom will drink anything that is... I need to brew an ale that people will drink to drink, not because its finished with Cascade or something. Its kind of annoying, there's not challenge ivolved. I was wondering if we could all suggest some ingredients for the beer. I want it to be something interesting yet subtle and simple. Let me know what you think!

I would think that a British Bitter or an ESB would be a good choice. The Bitter is a little more mellow and easy to drink. Most of the recipes I see use Kent Goldings or Fuggles as the hops of choice.

Maybe a 40 or 50 O.G. ale incorporating a fairly light base malt and a little (1-2 lb.)color malt (home toasted?). Then 1-1.5 oz. low to med. a.a. hops. 'Comfort' beer for the masses!

Here's one I just brewed, and drank (very smooth, good to drink, not too heavy, not too light). (partial mash) My family sounds similar in tastes to yours and everyone enjoyed this one. (I ran out in about a week)

5 gallon batch

6.6 lbs pale LME
2 lb 2 Row pale
1 lb 60L Crystal
1/4 lb Vienna

2 oz E. Kent Goldings whole 6.6 aa
2 oz Fuggles whole 5.6 aa
1 oz E Kent Goldings Pellet (dry hop) 4.1 aa

(any yeast of your choice)

Procedure

Mash--1 or 2 step infusion

Boil=--add 1.5 oz of EKG whole hops to the wort and boil for 30 min. Then add 1.5 oz of Fuggles and Irish Moss and boil for another 15 minutes. Next, add 1/2 oz of EKG for 5 minutes, and finish with 1/2 oz Fuggles for 2 minutes. Rapidly cool, transfer to fermenter.

After active fermentation complete, rack to secondary, dry hop with 1 oz of EKG pellets. :mug:

Back