It's been a while, what's a good price on grain/ hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My LHBS is around $45 for 50 lbs of 2 row, $60 for 55 lbs MO, and I get my hops online by the pound to cut down on cost - they run roughly $10-20 per lb.

I don't buy sacks because I am not all-grain, but I am close. My average for grain (all types, 2-row to crystal, Choc, black, etc) is $1.40.

Hops, I buy by the pound and my average is 0.80 per ounce. This includes premium hops such as Nelson Sauvin, Citra, Amarillo, etc.

Decide what you want and research different vendors.

It can vary a lot from place to place. Generally I pay $36 for premium 2-row, but a place a couple hours away sells it for 29.95, and no sales tax. Continental malts usually $50-$70. I try to plan ahead my trips to Portland and bring home a couple hundred pounds. Hops from Yakima Valley Hops and Hops Direct by the pound, you can save buying in bulk, and save even more by buying last year's crop.

It can vary a lot from place to place. Generally I pay $36 for premium 2-row, but a place a couple hours away sells it for 29.95, and no sales tax. Continental malts usually $50-$70. I try to plan ahead my trips to Portland and bring home a couple hundred pounds. Hops from Yakima Valley Hops and Hops Direct by the pound, you can save buying in bulk, and save even more by buying last year's crop.

I agree that Yakima Valley and Hops Direct seem to have the best prices for by-the-pound hops.

Where are you located that your LHBS sells 2-row at $36 or even $30? That's wholesale pricing here in New England.

I agree that Yakima Valley and Hops Direct seem to have the best prices for by-the-pound hops.

Where are you located that your LHBS sells 2-row at $36 or even $30? That's wholesale pricing here in New England.
I live in the backyard of Great Western Malting! GW Premium 2-row, at Main Brew in Hillsboro OR, runs $29.95 for a 50 lb bag. They compete with Brew Brothers, so even Crisp MO is competitively priced.

Morebeer.com sells 2 row for $37, Maris Otter for $63, regular UK pale malt for $60. Luckily I have one of there retail stores within a few miles.

Back